Web Appbuilder: Tips and tricks for creating, modifying and using custom widgets (2/5/2018)

02-15-2017 11:25 AM
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus
5 0 18.8K

Tips and tricks for creating, modifying and using custom widgets

last update:  2/5/2018  

version 2.5 now available

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS v2.5 Developer Edition Now Available! | ArcGIS Blog 

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers 

What's new in version 2.4—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers 

My other WAB related blog posts:

Table of Contents/Categories (sorry no hyperlinks):

• Developer Edition Documentation Quick-links -- official Help docs -- those related to creating your own widgets.

• Tips for getting started with creating, using, and modifying/customizing widgets

• Considerations when creating your own widgets
  • Creating your own widgets
  • Mix-ins (configuration tweaks)

• ...  the rest of this TOC are placeholders right now...info in other blogs....
  • Javascript and Web development

• Security and Proxies
  • Geoprocessing services (using ArcGIS Server to extend the task widget)

• Arcpy/Python

• ArcScripts 2.0 (now called Codesharing) and GitHub
  • ESRI Training Geonet group and helpful links

Developer Edition Documentation Quick-links -- official Help docs for custom widgets:

Tips for getting started with creating, using, and modifying/customizing widgets:

Considerations when creating your own widgets:

• !! Important note re: Google Street View from Robert Scheitlin, GISP‌  (8/29/201) (underline added)
      • All after much back and forth with different people and what now seems to be legitimate email traffic with the Google Maps API Team. It is now apparent that this widget does NOT conform to the Google Maps API Terms of Service. Due to this fact, this widget download will be removed and the live preview site will be un-accessible.  It is my recommendation that all users of this widget immediately remove the widget from their WAB site and discontinue use of this widget. The only way it seems currently to be compliant with the TOS is to not have a (non-Google) map visible at all in the app which is of no use at all to us esri users. I find it hard to understand how the Worlds leader in GIS technology and Google can not come to terms on the use of StreetView panoramas with esri basemaps, but it is what it is. So after years of this widget being used by hundreds of users around the world we must say good-bye.
    • Suggestion checking /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2016/03/09/web-appbuilder-developer-edition-customization-resource-list to see if one already exists
    • If you plan to share/post on geonet, I would appreciate a @ tag so I can add to the list.  Also suggest adding (and updating as needed) the posted/updated date in the title.  My links will auto-update and it will make it easier for others to know there is an update.

Creating your own custom widgets....

Mix-ins  (configuration tweaks)

About the Author
    Worked with GIS for 30+ years for the Alaska Dept of Fish and Game.