Select to view content in your preferred language

Can you transfer a Story to another ESRI account?

Jump to solution
09-16-2019 03:02 PM
KimBaldwin
New Contributor

I created my first story map today using ArcGIS StoryMaps on my public account (by accident) & need to transfer the story to my organisation account. My usernames are linked. How do I do this?? There must be a way to transfer...

31 Replies
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

It is possible to clone a Story Map (or a feature layer, map, app, etc.) from one AGOL account to another using a Python script. This will create a copy of the Story Map with uploaded images in your AGOL account. However, it may not copy other dependent items such as web maps.

This workflow is explained in more details in the article linked below:

from arcgis.gis import GIS

gis1 = GIS("https://arcgis.com", 'USERNAME','PASSWORD')
gis2 = GIS("https://arcgis.com", 'USERNAME', 'PASSWORD')

items = gis1.content.search(query='id:ITEM_ID', sort_field='id', sort_order='desc')

print(str(len(items)) + " items will be cloned. See the list below:")
items

def deep_copy_content(input_list):
   for item in input_list:
      try:
         print("Cloning " + item.title)
         copy_list = []
         copy_list.append(item)
         gis2.content.clone_items(copy_list, copy_data=True, search_existing_items=True)
         print("Successfully cloned " + item.title)
      except Exception as e:
         print(e)
   print("The function has completed")
deep_copy_content(items)

All the best,

MJ

Henry
by
Frequent Contributor

Nifty script! I was able to login to the respective accounts and obtain the list of items to be cloned (43 of them), however when attempting to run the deep_copy_content function it spit back an error I don't quite know how to handle

can only concatenate str (not "builtin_function_or_method") to str

I've got everything up until this point working well, do I have to put in the name of the item in the step below or the list generated in the previous step? A little new to using python.

##Create a logic to clone the items using the clone_items() function and to handle an error if the cloning process fails.
def deep_copy_content(input_list):
for item in input_list:
try:
print("Cloning " + item.title)
copy_list = []
copy_list.append(item)
gis2.content.clone_items(copy_list, copy_data=True, search_existing_items=True)
print("Successfully cloned " + item.title)
except Exception as e:
print(e)
print("The function has completed")
deep_copy_content(items)

Thanks!

Henry
0 Kudos
Rebecca_Dorff
New Contributor

It sounds like there is no option to copy OR transfer an ArcGIS Story Map from one organizational AGOL account to another organizational AGOL, correct? I am trying to transfer my Story Map collection to a different organizational account. I have a lot of content I am trying to transfer. 😕

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

All -- There's a new ArcGIS Assistant tool that has some capabilities for transferring content. Check it out and see if it meets your needs.

https://assistant.esri-ps.com/ 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
Henry
by
Frequent Contributor

Oh nice! I didn't know a new version of the Assistant tool was in the works - I'll give it a try with some apps - thanks!

Henry
0 Kudos
SCAGGISLA
Occasional Contributor

Hi Owen,

Copying the story maps seems working however no further edits are able to make. Seems a bug.

SCAGGISLA_0-1632347406778.png

CalebSang
Emerging Contributor

This is a life saver, thank you. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SCAGGISLA -- What types of accounts are you transferring between? Is either account a public account?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
SCAGGISLA
Occasional Contributor

both accounts are organizations accounts. transferring from one AGOL org account to another AGOL account.

I tried from the source AGOL org account to ArcGIS Enterprise (10.8.1) too but almost a similar error while editing.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SCAGGISLA -- As noted in the Assistant documentation, copying from Online to Enterprise (especially an older version of Enterprise) is not likely to be met with success. This is because the Enterprise codebase and data model are older than Online so there are inconsistencies.

https://guide.assistant.esri-ps.com/docs/common-workflows#anything-else-i-should-know-about-copying-...

We'll look into the AGO > AGO issue, but we haven't heard any other reports of that not working. If you can share the story publicly (from your Content page in ArcGIS Online) and provide an id we can try to take a look.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos