Select to view content in your preferred language

Can you transfer a Story to another ESRI account?

Jump to solution
09-16-2019 03:02 PM
KimBaldwin
New Contributor

I created my first story map today using ArcGIS StoryMaps on my public account (by accident) & need to transfer the story to my organisation account. My usernames are linked. How do I do this?? There must be a way to transfer...

31 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @SCAGGISLA -- Sorry, but you're doing the opposite of what I described in my previous post. 😕 I mentioned to...

make sure the account that you're using to initiate the copy owns the story being copied.

But you said...

Step 2- on the top menu selected ArcGIS Online and then search the item (story map) which need to copy (id is 77097c02cb034a46a3a911ae7221e84b) the owner for this item is another user from a different organization.

If the owner for the item is another user from a different org, then the account you are using to initiate the copy does not own the item.

In order to be able to copy a story and edit it, you need to have A) an account where you are the owner of that story and B) another account in the organization where you want to copy it to.

It would not be good if anyone could easily copy anyone else's story and start making changes. While there are many use cases where that could be helpful, that is not a workflow that we're interested in allowing without other protections (say someone copies your story, changes the author name, and republishes it as their own, or maybe they change some critical information in the story - those are not things that should be easy to do).

I hope this clears things up - let me know if you have other questions!

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
SCAGGISLA
New Contributor II

Hi @OwenGeo thanks for the prompt response. this does make sense but I am afraid does this really fulfill the workflow for the Copy of a story to a different organization

I understand that stories should not be copied if the owner is different and agree completely with the reason provided but still feel this as a limitation and should there be a workaround to achieve the task. 

In my workflow, the consultant has created a story map which we have to migrate to our AGOL environment for the completion of the project, to do this I must need to ask the consultant to use the tool and give him temporary access to our AGOL to complete the migration!