In ArcGIS Desktop 10, launching the Item Description for a layer by right-clicking on it from the ArcMap Table of Contents > Data > Item Description does not work.Note: Launching the Item Description from the Catalog Window or ArcCatalog does work.
Use the following workaround to solve this issue:
- Shut down ArcMap and ArcCatalog.
- Download the following ZIP file: Data Source Item Description window.zip
- Extract the .reg file located in the ZIP file to your hard drive or desktop
- Double-click the Data Source Item Description window.reg file. This adds a registry setting that enables the functionality.
- Open ArcMap.
The Item Description launched from the ArcMap Table of Contents > Data > Item Description will now work.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please leave any comments in the comment section below this blog post. NOTE: You must be logged in to your Esri Global Account to leave comments.
- Jeff M., Desktop Development Lead - User Advocacy Group, Esri Support Services