Select to view content in your preferred language

Support Localization...or, how do I get Support information in my native language?

12-04-2012 01:45 AM
Labels (1)
AnnaSchwabedal
Esri Contributor
0 0 358
esri_language-150x150.jpgI am not a native English speaking person – yes, I learned English fairly well in school while travelling, and achieved a very good level of understanding through working in Support for Esri Germany – but I naturally prefer information in ‘my’ language, German.  Many Esri Support resources are available in localized languages, such as when using the ArcGIS 10.1 web help. Within the ArcGIS 10.1 web help, switching between languages is quite simple – just use the provided drop-down.

What do you do when the information you need is not within the ArcGIS 10.1 web help? Or the information is for ArcGIS 10.0?Web Help

One trick I use often when receiving web help links in English from is to look at the URL.

For example, in this URL, notice the en for English: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/#/What_is_ArcGIS/00v200000007000000/

By just changing the small, but important, en to de (for German) I can access the localized help link in German:http://help.arcgis.com/de/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/#/What_is_ArcGIS/00v200000007000000/

Languages that are implemented at ArcGIS 10.0 web help:
    • Es for Spanish
    • Fr for French
    • De for  German
    • Ja for Japanese
Note: Russian (Ru) and Chinese (Ch) are not available at ArcGIS 10.0 web help.  These languages were newly introduced with ArcGIS 10.1.

Other Support Resources

The web help is just a small portion of the vast knowledge available for ArcGIS.  There are also language-based Sub Forums on the ArcGIS Resource Center, or your Esri distributor can provide translated product information. In some instances, a collection of technical articles in your mother tongue may be available from your local distributor.  For example, on the Esri Germany Support Site, you can find information about installation, authorization or special needs like transformations between coordinate systems.

Just have a look!Anna Schwabedal - Esri Germany Support
About the Author
Support Analyst since 2006 employed by Esri BSc. Geomatics and Cartography