Select to view content in your preferred language

Getting to Know Esri Support: Gaurav N.

01-31-2012 11:23 AM
Labels (1)
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor
1 0 372
An interview with ArcIMS and ArcGIS Server Analyst, Gaurav N.
To continue our “Getting to Know Esri Support” series, we’ve interviewed a member of the Redlands Server team. Gaurav has traveled far and is now living his dream working for Esri!.Support Services Blog: Welcome Gaurav! Let’s jump right in with finding out a little about how you got into the GIS industry and what brought you to Esri?Gaurav: While I was studying for my bachelor’s degree, I attended a conference on disaster management and learned how GIS is helpful in relief services. I tried to find out ways to enter the industry, did some research and found that Esri is the market leader in GIS. I contacted Esri India and took an ArcGIS Desktop and ArcIMS course. I started working in the GIS industry and later, I got hired at Esri India where I worked as a Technical Support Analyst. After working for 7 years in the GIS industry, I got the opportunity to come to the USA and work as consultant at the Esri Redlands headquarters. I am now working as a full-time Support Services Analyst in the Server Unit. My dream came true, and I even got to meet Jack Dangermond and talk to him in the Esri cafe one day during lunch!SSB: Tell us a little bit about your daily responsibilities as an analyst.Gaurav: I work as a Tier 2 Analyst in the Server Unit where I am responsible for troubleshooting complex problems reported by customers. My expertise is mostly on troubleshooting performance related issues with ArcIMS and the ArcGIS Server products.

Sometimes users call and report their production environment is down and need us to help. We help discover workarounds, if they reach a software limitation, to enable them to continue with their work. Also, we get calls at times for disaster relief where the customer application is down. For example:
  • During wild fires or floods, organizations need to demarcate the affected area on the web for their relief work force.
  • During hurricanes, power companies plan a restoration on the GIS website.
  • During oil spills, petroleum companies want to track where the oil spill has happened.

I feel that my work is very important, and I take pride in being able to help in such situations.SSB: What do you like about working as a support analyst in Redlands?Gaurav: Interacting with customers and facing new challenges every day. Not only to help troubleshoot the problem, but also to assist with changing, improving, or optimizing their systems. I like the open and friendly work atmosphere. You have opportunities to engage with others throughout the company, allowing you to exchange ideas, learn from others, and leverage their skills to accomplish a task.SSB: What do you enjoy when you are away from work?Gaurav: I enjoy spending time with my wife and 2.5-year-old son. I am also taking guitar classes and working on my MBA.SSB: Good luck with learning the guitar, and thanks for your time Gaurav!Gaurav: Thank you. It was nice talking with you.Previous "Getting to Know Esri Support" Interviews
About the Author
Product Engineer - Geodatabase Team