Getting to Know Esri Support: Brian C.

06-21-2016 01:21 PM
Labels (1)
JuliaLenhardt1
New Contributor III
0 0 504
Picture-264x300.jpgIn keeping with tradition, we want to introduce you to another member of Esri Support Services, Brian C.  We talked to Brian about what he's interested in, what hooked him on GIS, and what he likes about being in Support here in sunny Redlands, California. Keep an eye out for Brian at this year's User Conference!So Brian, how were you introduced to GIS and what grabbed your attention?

From a very young age, I was always fascinated by maps and would try to pinpoint where we were on family road trips. Later at the University of Akron, I was working towards a Secondary Education degree with a focus on History while enrolled in an Intro to Geography class. The professor talked about fields that utilized a degree in geography and mentioned GIS. I stayed after class and discussed it further with him. At the time, I was completely unaware that GIS existed, or that the University of Akron offered a degree program for it. The real draw for me was that I could learn to create maps similar to those I used growing up in Boy Scouts and on road trips. The following semester, I enrolled in a class about maps and map reading, as well as an Intro to GIS class. Midway through the first part of that semester, I made the decision to change my major, and I've never looked back.What’s your current role at Esri?

I’m a Desktop Support Analyst. I primarily support ArcGIS for Desktop, ArcGIS Online, and raster technologies.What’s the coolest thing about working for Esri?

Working with our customers. Everytime the phone rings, you get to see a different issue and possibly learn something new. Additionally, it’s really interesting to see how our customers are applying GIS to meet the needs of their organization.Where are you from originally, and what do you like about living in Redlands? What do you miss about home?

I was born in Topeka, Kansas, but if you ask me where I'm from, I would say the South (Alabama and Georgia) and Northeast Ohio. While I was growing up, my family moved a fair amount, but I spent my most impressionable years in the South and in Ohio. My favorite thing about Redlands is its proximity to the outdoor activities I enjoy. In less than an hour’s drive, I can be deep in the mountains or completely lost in Joshua Tree National Park. The thing I miss the most about home would be the seasons. Being able to watch the leaves change and the snow fall were always my favorite times of the year.If you could wake up tomorrow anywhere in the world, where would that be and why?

The Himalayas. Ever since I was a child, I have loved the mountains, and I would love to explore the regions that are home to some of the tallest mountains on the planet.Some day, Brian, some day... thanks for your time!
Julia L. - Desktop Group Lead