ArcMap Crashed? Send us your report!

02-11-2010 11:31 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
1 0 687
dude crashing to the ground

I know how frustrating it can be when ArcMap or ArcCatalog crashes. A few years ago, I wrote a Knowledge Base article with different methods to resolve these crashes, as well as known issues that may cause a crash. In an effort to resolve these crash issues, ESRI Software Development implemented the crash reporting system. You might have seen this little window pop up the last time the application crashed:

ArcGIS Desktop Application Error dialog box

You may ask yourself, where exactly do these reports go? Why don’t they write me back using the e-mail address I provided?

The error reports you submit are very useful for improving the product’s stability. When an error report is submitted, a server reviews the report to determine what component of the software caused the program to crash. If the behavior has been encountered before, the report is added to the defect report for that issue. But if the behavior is not recognized by the system, then a new defect report is generated to examine that issue. When a defect report is associated with multiple error reports, our product engineers make every effort to resolve the issue for the next service pack.

If you can identify a reproducible set of steps or a particular action that causes ArcMap or ArcCatalog to crash, please check my Knowledge Base article for a known issue in the Related Articles section. If you don’t see your scenario here, please submit your steps to reproduce to ESRI Support Services, and we would be happy to review your issue.

You can find more information about this system in the ArcGIS Desktop Help topics Error reporting for ArcGIS software crash data and Frequently asked questions about error reporting.

Happy Mapping!

- Emeline R., Support Analyst, ArcGIS Server group, ESRI Support Services