Select to view content in your preferred language

A new intermediate StoryMaps workshop

08-14-2024 11:54 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
1 0 1,333

An intermediate-level story maps workshop was recently developed and taught by my colleague and I for students, researchers, and faculty in a university, but I share it while trusting that it could be used in other educational settings where people want to further develop their story map skills.  The content of the workshop is delivered in a story map, here: 

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/f66fcd6222fb45ebb973f6073048d382 

Students in upper secondary school or university/college level could use this resource to build their story map and mapping communication skills.  Instructors could use this resource in their own environmental science, geography, history, language arts, GIS, or other course.  I have structured the resource to allow learners some hands-on independent time to work through each of 5 activities, but in each activity, I always provide the final product that can be reviewed.

The themes central to this workshop are environmental (watersheds, stream gauges, ecoregions) but the same principles can be applied beyond these topics. 

JosephKerski_0-1723661017524.png

The goals for this content is:

1. Provide skills to create and share your research using ArcGIS StoryMaps.
  2. Instill confidence that you can use ArcGIS StoryMaps in your work, in and also beyond SLAWR.

5 key tenets guiding this content are:

1. Story Maps are easy to create, yet are powerful, because (1) Maps have long been effective ways of communicating and collaborating; and (2) Story Maps are part of the interconnected ArcGIS platform.
  2. Even in our modern era where anyone can create and share maps, maps are still viewed as authoritative. Take that responsibility seriously, and do your utmost to communicate clearly.
  3. A good map inspires your viewers to ask questions.
  4. Consider the THINK principle: Is your map True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary, and Kind?
  5. Understand each data set you are using in your maps: Data and Society blog:  https://spatialreserves.wordpress.com 

storymapworkshop.gif

3 Guidelines as you use these resources:

1. Consider your audience and your goals: This should help direct you to the specific methods, maps, scales, and tools you will use in your Story Maps.
  2. Consider Twain's statement, "If I would have had more time, I would have made my story shorter." Be focused.
  3. Consider these 9 best practices as you create your Story Maps:  https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/429bc4eed5f145109e603c9711a33407     

Content:

Activity 1:  Create an ArcGIS Online Map and a story map (using watersheds, stream gauges, and basemaps).

Activity 2:  Create a sidecar.

Activity 3:  Create a StoryMap with Media Actions.

Activity 4:  Create an Express Map.

Activity 5:  Create a StoryMap briefing.

These activities are followed by selected guidelines and lessons, and books to continue your learning. 

I hope this resource is useful and I look forward to your feedback.

--Joseph Kerski   

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.