Survey123 Connect Image question and Multiline Appearance

Jump to solution
08-17-2020 10:24 PM
JamieLambert
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

Looking the new form in Survey123 Connect and it looks good! Just had a question about the MULTILINE appearance and the IMAGE question. On the APPEARANCES tab, the MULTILINE appearance is only shown for the TEXT question. Can this be updated for the IMAGE question? And does this apply to the Web app? I have used it in a Web form (from Survey123 Connect) embedded in a Dashboard and I can add multiple images, though when I submit the form there are no attachments. I guess I need to understand if its not working as its not fully supported in the web form yet or its another issue I am facing. Thanks.

Jamie.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jamie

Thanks for flagging the issue with the template. As of 3.10 the multiline appearance is fully supported in the field app and web app, for both image and file questions. I've updated the Appearances tab in the Advanced and Standard templates accordingly.

Regarding the issue you're seeing in the dashboard - I'll leave this one to my colleague Jody Zheng Liu‌, above!

Best,

Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JodyZhengLiu
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamie,

Are you using Enterprise portals or ArcGIS Online?

Thanks,

Jody Zheng Liu

0 Kudos
JamieLambert

Hi Jody,

Using ArcGIS Online. I am adding new data with the survey rather than editing existing data. The survey is built from an exiting hosted feature using Survey123 Connect. The Image question appearance is set to Multiline and method=browse.

Now knowing it's supported, I spent some more time looking at the data and trying to work out what was happening - and its working now. I had a field called 'Images' that was meant for a URL for existing data - with new data having the images actually attached. At some stage I had a less constructive moment and forgot about my original intention, and repurposed this as an Image question! When I saw the 'Images' attribute in the table just now I knew I did something wrong! Interestingly the image question (which was really a text field) was actually capturing the filenames of the images I was trying to upload and writing them to the text field (see image below). So even though it looked like I was adding images, I was not.

I added a new Image question with the same parameters and republished the form. This has resolved my issue. Thanks for your help.

Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jamie

Thanks for flagging the issue with the template. As of 3.10 the multiline appearance is fully supported in the field app and web app, for both image and file questions. I've updated the Appearances tab in the Advanced and Standard templates accordingly.

Regarding the issue you're seeing in the dashboard - I'll leave this one to my colleague Jody Zheng Liu‌, above!

Best,

Jim

0 Kudos
JamieLambert

Hi Jim,

Thanks for letting me know that the multiline appearance is fully supported on the web side - helped me narrow down where my issue was! The new image question functionality is great to have.

Jamie.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In Survey123 Connect (enterprise license) the multiline / multiple photos is not shown on the screen.  Though when I publish the survey and look at it on my phone, it would be helpful to see this present in Survey123 Connect as well.

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Josh Mccullough, could you please provide a bit more detail about what you're seeing in Survey123 Connect versus the Survey123 field app? Or are you viewing the survey in the web app (browser)? Are you using the multiline appearance with an image question?

Best,

Jim

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jim -- I'm viewing this in the Survey123 Connect (Programs > ArcGIS > Survey123ConnectforArcGIS) where I'm developing the survey.  I am using the multiline appearance for the image.  In Survey123 Connect, after taking a photo the icon options below the image preview and jpg name are the same camera and folder with the rotations and delete icons added -- here there is no "plus" icon to take multiple.  Meanwhile, on my phone app for Survey123, after taking the photo the icons below the image preview and jpg name change to include a "plus" icon by the camera and folder icons.  On Survey123 Connect taking a second photo doesn't allow you to scroll back and see the first photo, but on the Survey123 phone app there's left and right arrows to go between the photos taken.

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Josh, thanks for the additional info. It sounds like you're using an older version of Survey123 Connect (the product name also suggests this - the name changed from "Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS" to "ArcGIS Survey123 Connect" earlier this year). Could you please check which version of Connect you have installed?

Support for the multiline appearance for image questions was introduced in version 3.10; note that the current version is 3.11 (released last week). Latest downloads available here: ArcGIS Survey123 Resources | Downloads, Training, Videos & Documentation.

Best,

Jim

0 Kudos
FRSadmin
New Contributor III

I believe I have the latest version of Survey123 and I cannot get the multiline for images to work at all.

This wouldn`t be weirdly region locked at all would it? I am operating out of Japan.

0 Kudos