Pro Hangs for 10 Minutes on Every Startup or When Left Unattended for a While

Jump to solution
04-14-2022 12:05 AM
m3
by
Occasional Contributor

Every morning when I start up Pro, I get the blue Windows wait cursor for about 10 minutes.  Doesn't matter if I open an existing aprx or create a new one.  I can pan the map and navigate panels but I can't do anything other than that.  Force quitting it and starting it again doesn't resolve it, it just needs 10 minutes to wake up.

If I leave Pro unused for about an hour the same thing happens when I try to resume use.  

I've reinstalled it, cleared cache, all the usual stuff so far nothing has helped.

This often costs me up to an hour of work per day.  I'm guessing my boss probably wouldn't like to hear that, that adds up pretty quickly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
m3
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks everyone for your help, it actually is the clipboard.  

I'm working remotely and accessing Pro through Citrix on a Mac.  In the Remote Desktop Connection settings, there is a setting to share the clipboard.  If I uncheck this, Pro no longer hangs on me (although the screen redraws a whole lot more on launch for some reason).

I don't know if it's a Citrix client or server issue, an ESRI issue, or something with my particular setup.  It does complicate things a little bit that I can't share the clipboard but I'll get by.  

If anyone happens to know anything about this issue please let me know.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It took this person 20 minutes

Solved: ArcGIS Pro takes 20 minutes to startup - Esri Community

anything similar to your situation?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@m3 have you got folder connections to network folders with a lot of content? Pro will index these and can take a long time. A workaround is to add the folder as a favourite and remove the folder connection.

Also, what is the backup frequency set in the options menu?

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
m3
by
Occasional Contributor

@DanPatterson it is not that problem but in my hunt, I did the following based on that and @David_Brooks suggestions.  I'm still having the issue, 4 times today.  I'm the only user in the org that this affecting.

Removed all folder connections

Turned off backups

Moved all my connections (outside SDE) to my C drive

Turned off indexing

Deleted cache

Already reinstalled it

0 Kudos
TimJohnston5
New Contributor III

Are you using a license server? 

If so, have you tried to checking out a license to eliminate that possible bottleneck?

0 Kudos
m3
by
Occasional Contributor

That didn't work either

0 Kudos
m3
by
Occasional Contributor

Well I did a deep clean uninstall of Pro and it's down to about a 5 minute freeze.  Is there some dependency on other ArcMap things that could be interfering?  Should I have IT wipe my drive and start over?

0 Kudos
TimJohnston5
New Contributor III

Double check that you cleared your Display Cache and have Indexing turned off: 

ArcProDisplayCache.png

ArcProIndexing.png

0 Kudos
TimJohnston5
New Contributor III

Have you tried generating a Diagnostics Log? 
From the command line, or a shortcut path, add the /enablediagnostics to the end of the target path.  This will generate a log file which you, or ESRI support, can review to troubleshoot the issue.  Once ArcPro is started, then log file will be written to:  
C:\Users\[YOUR USERID]\Documents\ArcGIS\Diagnostics\ArcGISProLog.xml
ArcGIS diagnostics.png

0 Kudos
TimJohnston5
New Contributor III

Also take a look at the ArcMon diagnostic dialog contained in ArcGIS Pro.
Sometimes there are some interesting performance clues in this dialog.
To access the dialog, press CTRL-Alt-M

Tags (1)
0 Kudos