ExcelToSQLite64 won't die (it's back)

Jump to solution
06-29-2022 07:31 AM
PaulSchrum1
New Contributor III

I noticed my computer's fan is running nearly all the time after running ArcGIS Pro 3.0. After investigating, I found that ExcelToSQLite64 keeps running even after closing ArgGIS Pro. When it does, it uses one of my virtual processors at 100% utilization until I kill the process in Task Manager. This is what is making the fan turn on.

While trying to figure out what was going on, I found that this was also a problem with 2.6.

Since this has been a bug acknowledged by ESRI for over two years and three releases, I am wondering if staff know what I can do about it beyond just killing the process whenever I hear my fan turn on.

Also, is this something you guys might fix some day?

Tags (2)
47 Replies
Kumudan
New Contributor

My issue was that after making edits using Pixel Editor, saving, and closing it, and then closing ArcGIS Pro would trigger ExcelToSQLite64, however, ArcGIS Pro would not shut down. Reinstalling "Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 64-bit" as suggested above worked for me, and now my ArcGIS Pro shuts down without having to "End task" it in Task Manager every time🤦🏽‍

UPDATE: Apparently, the problem came back for unknown reason. I just reinstalled "Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 64-bit" again, and it fixed it, although seemingly temporarily. ESRI..!!!

0 Kudos
cle444
by
Occasional Contributor

Same issue here. ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2. Would be great if we could get an update about this issue.

LyleMariam
New Contributor III

If you see the issue, use Task Manager to kill the GIS Indexing Server and ExcelToSQLite processes.

This is a temporary fix and might have to be done again if the process starts up again on its own. Install any ArcGIS Pro updates that come out which may resolve the issue.

NikMartin
New Contributor II

I created @PaulSchrum1's solution in straight Python:

import psutil
import time

PROCNAME = "exceltosqlite64"
APPNAME = "arcgispro"
SERVERNAME="arcgisindexingserver"

while True:

def checkProc(name):
    "Return True if process exists"
    found = False
    for proc in psutil.process_iter(['name']):
      if name.lower() in proc.info['name'].lower():
        found = True
    return found

def killProc(name):
    "Kill it with 🔥"
    for proc in psutil.process_iter(['name']):
      if name.lower() in proc.info['name'].lower():
        try:
           proc.kill()
        except psutil.NoSuchProcess:
          pass

if not checkProc(APPNAME) and checkProc(PROCNAME):
      killProc(SERVERNAME)
      killProc(PROCNAME)

print(' You are awesome ')
  time.sleep(60)

Save this to a python file and using the python that comes with ArcGIS, all dependencies should exist. Otherwise, you'll need to `pip install psutil`. Run this and it will check for the zombie processes and kill them, but only if ArcGIS Pro is not running.

RobPotter
New Contributor

Thanks great tool, I have been running it for a week now and I have noticed it seems to start in the last 10 mins of the hour and tries a 4-5 times gives up for an hour.  There is something way too systematic there for esri to ignore. 

This is just the last few a record of the last 3 days attached...

ExcelToSQLite64 process killed at 31/01/2023 6:56:28 AM
ExcelToSQLite64 process killed at 31/01/2023 7:51:00 AM
ExcelToSQLite64 process killed at 31/01/2023 7:51:30 AM
ExcelToSQLite64 process killed at 31/01/2023 7:52:00 AM
ExcelToSQLite64 process killed at 31/01/2023 7:52:30 AM
ExcelToSQLite64 process killed at 31/01/2023 7:56:30 AM
ExcelToSQLite64 process killed at 31/01/2023 8:51:02 AM
ExcelToSQLite64 process killed at 31/01/2023 8:51:32 AM
ExcelToSQLite64 process killed at 31/01/2023 8:52:32 AM
ExcelToSQLite64 process killed at 31/01/2023 8:53:02 AM
ExcelToSQLite64 process killed at 31/01/2023 8:57:02 AM

LyleMariam
New Contributor III

I agree but apparently, ESRI can't duplicate it. Are you running the latest patch?

You might double check that the Indexing Server is being killed. I'm not a Python programmer but would guess that if the indexing server process is running but not ExcelToSQLLite, then it would not kill the indexing server and that is what's causing the problem to reappear. Personally, I would expand the final checks to separately check for the indexing server and kill it if ArcGIS Pro is not running, irrespective of ExcelToSQLLite running or not.

0 Kudos
RobPotter
New Contributor

I am not using the python version above I am using the TaskGuardian C# app.

I have not run ArcGIS Pro on this machine for >2 months and it had been quiet, not killing any processes, until 3 days ago and all of a sudden with no prompting 4-5 times an hour, as per the above log.

0 Kudos
KenBragg
New Contributor III

While Paul's work-around is certainly appreciated this is not a solution and Esri really needs to deal with this. The problem is affecting many users for literally years and exists in the current version 3.1.2!
What do I do when I hear my computer fan?  I check for  ExcelToSQLite64 processes left behind by ArcGIS Pro and 90% of the time this is the reason. Sometimes there are multiple.  
Seriously Esri this is a real issue which needs to be addressed in a professional way and not by expecting your users to install a random C# app created by a user.