Select to view content in your preferred language

ExcelToSQLite64 won't die (it's back)

Jump to solution
06-29-2022 07:31 AM
PaulSchrum1
New Contributor III

I noticed my computer's fan is running nearly all the time after running ArcGIS Pro 3.0. After investigating, I found that ExcelToSQLite64 keeps running even after closing ArgGIS Pro. When it does, it uses one of my virtual processors at 100% utilization until I kill the process in Task Manager. This is what is making the fan turn on.

While trying to figure out what was going on, I found that this was also a problem with 2.6.

Since this has been a bug acknowledged by ESRI for over two years and three releases, I am wondering if staff know what I can do about it beyond just killing the process whenever I hear my fan turn on.

Also, is this something you guys might fix some day?

Tags (2)
47 Replies
LyleMariam
New Contributor III

Fully understand Paul and thanks so much for the app. I realize the potential shortfalls of creating an exe, just that others who are not into programming would possibly struggle to implement it. I really appreciate you taking the first step in correcting the issue. Hopefully, Esri will eventually be able to replicate it and fix it.

0 Kudos
LyleMariam
New Contributor III

Follow up - What I've discovered now is that even if I don't launch ArcGIS Pro, both ExcelToSQLite and ArcGISIndexingServer now load on their own at boot?

0 Kudos
LyleMariam
New Contributor III

To add insult to injury, I've found that often I have two copies of ExcelToSQLite running at the same time! I haven't loaded ArcGIS Pro in a week and ExcelToSQLite or two run all the time. I just keep Task Manager loaded and when I see it running kill the process plus GISIndexingServer but it's only a temporary fix as it will reload within a few minutes.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Raminov
New Contributor

I also have this issue since I upgraded to Pro 3.0

I just kill the process once I hear my laptop fan roaring.

I haven't opened Pro for some time now and rebooted several times my computer, so the ExcelToSQLite  process spawns for some other reason. the GISIndexingServer is running in the background.

After killing the ExcelToSQLite, it doesn't spawn back immediately. it could come back after a few hours.

Will try to upgrade to 3.01 but it seems, according to threads here, that this won't solve the problem.

Is ESRI working on solving this?

0 Kudos
LyleMariam
New Contributor III

So far I haven't seen an "official" fix for the problem as ESRI indicated they can't duplicate it. Even when I don't run ArcGIS Pro, my computer "automatically" starts the indexing server and the ExcelToSQLite program. The quickest thing is to run Task Manager sorted on CPU usage. Once you see ExcelToSQLite running and you're not using ArcGIS Pro, then kill the ArcGISIndexingServer first then ExcelToSQLite processes.

One thing I've noticed is that when I kill ExcelToSQLite manually, I will at times later find two instances of the process running. The only automatic fix is to run PaulSchrum1's command line fix. But I find it troublesome as it requires running from the command line and you have to compile it yourself which requires VisualStudio.

This morning, my computer ran for about an hour after rebooting until ExcelToSQLite started. I started Chrome after 45 minutes but have problems linking the browser to GIS. I have been trying to figure out what triggers the program to load but have been unsuccessful to date. One thing to note is that we run the 32bit version of ArcGIS Pro and I don't know if ESRI has tried the 32bit version in addition to the 64bit version or not. Hopefully as the number of people with the problem increases, it will focus more attention on seeking an answer.

0 Kudos
MHeynen1
New Contributor II

Turning off the indexing option has been a solution for some users. It seems as thought the solutions, and in some instances the behavior, are similar to ArcGIS Pro 2.7

MHeynen_0-1663940061616.png

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/huge-amount-of-geodatabase-files-since-arcgis-pro...

However, the behavior does not seem to be the same in every case. 

LyleMariam
New Contributor III

Interesting, I turned off Indexing and closed ArcGIS Pro. Checking TaskManager I found that ArcGISIndexingserver and ExcelToSQLite were killed. It's been running for a few minutes and I haven't seen them restart. This could be the solution to high CPU usage!

Of course, if you look at the CPU usage for the indexing service, it is almost zero. The hog is the ExcelToSQLite process which on my computer is about 12% of CPU usage. I don't see how indexing should spawn the other process. Just from reading the file name, I would assume it handles taking Excel input data and stuffs it into a SQL database. It's difficult to understand if you're indexing files why would you need to import Excel data?

Update: Turning off indexing seems to have solved the high CPU usage problem I was experiencing. I haven't noticed ExcelToSQLite or the indexing server starting. My PC has been running almost 9 hours after turning off Indexing and I haven't see any evidence of high CPU usage. My Xeon system is only showing about 5-8% CPU usage when previously it would have been around 20%. I'm running ArcGIS Pro + a number of applications with AC/DC Let There Be Rock to boot.

MHeynen1
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply. I am glad to see that it worked in your case. If it returns please let me know. I am investigating the issue to see if we can pinpoint the cause of the behavior. 

0 Kudos
LyleMariam
New Contributor III

As of this afternoon, it is working fine and I'm not having any issues with ArcGIS Pro after turning off the Indexing feature. Fingers crossed that solved the issue.

0 Kudos
MHeynen1
New Contributor II

We may have discovered a new possible fix. In some cases we have noticed that downloading and reinstalling the "Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 64-bit" solved the behavior. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54920