create milepost feature class from road feature class that includes bmp and emp

Jump to solution
01-05-2023 12:21 PM
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

I have a line feature class road dataset that includes beginning and ending miles posts. Some of the roads have beginning mileposts that don't start at zero, but start at something else like 1.52.

I need to create a milepost point layer, that I can publish in ArcGIS online in web app builder, that is generated from the road bmp and emp data in the road feature class.

I tried using the Generate Points Along Lines tool, but this doesn't seem to account for the lines that start with a BMP value that is greater than zero. It also doesn't label the points and there are over 2,000 of them so it would be time consuming to manually label them.

screenshot of tool:

Lorraine77_0-1672949177643.png

Here is an example of a road that begins at milepost 1.52 instead of zero.

Lorraine77_1-1672949338094.png

You can see that the 1st milepost is placed at the location of 2.52 instead of 1:

Lorraine77_2-1672949430086.png

Next I followed these instructions to draw hatch symbols along lines and it seems to works really well in Arc Pro, (except it didn't label two of my roads).

Is there a way to export the symbol marker layer as a feature class and have it keep the points and have it add the mile number in the attribute table?

Is there a better way to go about doing this?

Example of the two roads where the mile marker symbology didn't load:

Lorraine77_3-1672949966717.png

Lorraine77_4-1672949992880.png

Lorraine77_5-1672950021469.png

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@L77 Good progress! 

The Location Error tells you the reason why mileposts Events could not be placed on their respective routes.

• Route Without Measure: These routes did not get calibrated and has no M-values in the geometry. You can verify that using the Explore/Identify tool. Review the geometries of the uncalibrated routes; they may have complex geometries that is preventing measures. Multi-part, non-linear, self-intersecting geometries are examples that are not conducive to simple linear referencing. If the line geometries are fine, perhaps the process of calibration needs review.
  • Route Measure Not Found: The route has measures but the milepost value is outside the measure range. Review and fix these event table records.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@L77 Thanks for the detailed notes along with screenshots - helps in understanding the use case. 

The workflow is better handled through Linear Referencing (simple functions) and Roads and Highways  (advanced functions).

You can get started with the following references:

The use case is discussed in the following posts:

Creating points at hatch intervals along LRS routes

Create Line segments from Point Locations referencing Linear feature

L77
by
Occasional Contributor

@AyanPalit Thank you for helping me!

I created a milepost table that looks like this:

Lorraine77_0-1673365687937.png

I used the Make Route Event Layer tool: I used the Road Number column and the Milepost column.

Lorraine77_1-1673365745247.png

It created mileposts for all of the roads except the roads in red:

Lorraine77_2-1673365830839.png

Lorraine77_4-1673365884994.png

The error column said Route Without Measure and for a few it said Route Measure Not Found:

Lorraine77_10-1673366174652.png

Lorraine77_8-1673366116190.png

Attribute table of roads that have errors:

Lorraine77_9-1673366132815.png

Do you know how I can fix these errors so I can create the mileposts? I don't see the error.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@L77 Good progress! 

The Location Error tells you the reason why mileposts Events could not be placed on their respective routes.

• Route Without Measure: These routes did not get calibrated and has no M-values in the geometry. You can verify that using the Explore/Identify tool. Review the geometries of the uncalibrated routes; they may have complex geometries that is preventing measures. Multi-part, non-linear, self-intersecting geometries are examples that are not conducive to simple linear referencing. If the line geometries are fine, perhaps the process of calibration needs review.
  • Route Measure Not Found: The route has measures but the milepost value is outside the measure range. Review and fix these event table records.

0 Kudos
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

@AyanPalit Sorry for the delay. 

I used the explore / identify tool and you are correct that there wasn't any information in the pop up window:

Lorraine77_0-1673965592712.png

I used the Create Routes tool to get the M data to populate for the roads with missing data:

Lorraine77_1-1673965696973.png

Then I used the Make Route Events tool again and it created mileposts for the roads that didn't have M values previously.

This helped me find the error in my data. In this one road for example milepost 1 and 2 show up after 18.

Lorraine77_2-1673965787402.png

When I click edit vertices I can see that there are two parts to the line, so I need to merge them and have the end point at the actual end.  I will fix my line work and will redo the steps with the original dataset.

Lorraine77_3-1673965904806.png

Thank you for helping me, I really appreciate it!

MikeRodriguez
New Contributor II

Hello, 

May I ask where you got your feature class road dataset that includes beginning and ending miles posts?

I've been trying to find this dataset for our county roads. Our county has its own road numbers but I am guessing the state also creates those road numbers? 

Thank you, 

-Mike

0 Kudos
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

Sorry for the delay, I think I may have turned off my email notifications.

I have an excel table that has a column with the road number, a column with the beginning milepost, and a column with the ending milepost (which is maintained by our county public works department).  What state are you in? We submit our data to the county road administration board in Washington state and they review it, but we maintain it.

Then I had a road feature class that has the road number and lines drawn for each road.

Then I joined the excel table to the road layer by the road number.

Then in Arc Pro I used the create routes tool to turn the road line layer into a route.

L77_0-1692660805329.png

The way you know it is a route instead of just a line, is that when you click on it the pop up window will tell you what the milepost is where you clicked along the route. It applies the bmp and emp to the line then does math to show what the milepost is along the line.