ArcGIS Icon Library for IT Architecture?

Jump to solution
05-26-2017 10:42 AM
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This question may have been asked recently, or at least before, but I can't seem to find a good answer, let alone the icons themselves.

It is getting more common today for companies to release icon libraries for doing architecture diagrams involving their software or platforms.  When I work with Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and others; I can just go to the web and download multiple formats of their architecture- or network-related icons:

From looking at both Esri's online documentation and the System Design Strategies - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia , it is clear that Esri has an icon library.  In fact, they appear to be transitioning from a 10.1-10.4 icon library

to a 10.5+ icon library.

Personally, I like the older 10.1-10.4 icons more, but flattened, mono- or duo-colored icons appear to be all the rage these days.

So, my question is whether Esri makes their ArcGIS Icon Library for Architecture available, either publicly or to its customers?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

All,

Please see this blog post by Jeff DeWeese, he's shared a collection of official esri icons.

https://community.esri.com/community/implementing-arcgis/blog/2019/12/18/esri-presentation-icons 

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

44 Replies
JeffTimm
Occasional Contributor

How is this not a thing ESRI?  I am presenting my ArcGIS Enterprise architecture plan to my network staff to plan our deployment.  Would be nice to use the same symbols that are shown in every ArcGIS Enterprise presentation.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think the 6+ months of silence to my question gives a resounding answer, "no."  I end up either presenting my ArcGIS Enterprise deployments using AWS or Azure icons.

PhilippeChessel1
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have the exact same need to document a project related to an Enterprise migration to Azure , and for the ESRI stack I can't get ESRI well known and well designed symbols.

So all the docs and diagrams looks great when it is comes to Azure, network, infrastructure, ... but not the GIS ones 😞

Philippe Chessel

DGtop

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Would you mind making an idea for this and linking to it here in this discussion? I'm hoping ESRI will be more likely to see it if it's under ideas and people can upvote it.

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

There are some similar ideas here: Architecture / Block diagram editor  and here: https://community.esri.com/ideas/3738 

Please vote!

AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

There is a zipped Visio stencil file in this thread (Any Visio templates for ArcGIS server system design?). Is this what you are after? I believe it’s Visio 2013 format

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are talking about the attachment from Abhijit Sarkar, no.  What Abhijit provided was a small collection of architecture icons, not an ArcGIS icon library.  Also, about a third or more of the icons appear to be bitmaps and not vector graphics.

0 Kudos
TomLutgen
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

It would be best if it was in multiple formats, like the Google, Microsoft, etc. links he has above. We don't use Visio, so I at least can't open that file. Aside from IT architecture, I'd also love to have the new hexagon icons for all of ESRI's products to use in my training presentations.