Trace points based on physical location

Jump to solution
02-23-2020 08:43 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a point feature and those points were created along a line. My problem is that the points were not drawn sequentially.Is there any way to trace the points according to their physical location? Thanks. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes utility network analysis works for me. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How many points?

How many line features are we anticipating? Are they near each other?

May be possible with the Near tool and Point to Line.
If there's a nominal number of features and it's a one-off you could just do it manually

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There are 38,019 points placed along 284 different lines. Need to calculate the distance from any point on a line to the start and end point. The difficulty is the draw order of those points are not recorded in attribute table. Try to use the utility network analysis - find path to get the order of those points but not sure how to do it automatically.   

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

You should edit your question and provide some screen shots as this allows people to understand what exactly your data is and represents and the resulting solution to your problem.

0 Kudos
VickyWang
Esri Contributor

Are you able to use the start or the endpoint of the line as start points? does direction matter? 

If there is any logic that can apply to the points' distance with tolerance then it might able to do it through python. 

For instance, I will get all the points along the line or interests with the line. Then calculate point distance from one direction to compare every point's distance to the start point of the line and to the endpoint of the line...  

loop through all the points then you will get the list of the points based on the comparison from one direction.  

~Vicky Wang~
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's a solution. Also tried to use the utility network analysis -find path, but not too sure if it can be done via python. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately, ArcObjects needs to be used.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. Will give it a try. 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have moved the question to Geoprocessing‌ a more suitable place for questions of this type.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dan

I don't think it is a Geoprocessing issue. I think she could setup a Geometric network and tracing then.

Regards,

Bing