Parallel Processing Factor

03-27-2019 10:56 PM
NathanFleischman
New Contributor III

I am using Parallel Processing Factor to speed up a process that has been taking too long. I have a question though. I have a workstation computer that has a 16-core processor. Each core has two logical processors. How many processes would it do if arcpy.env.parallelProcessingFactor was set to 50%, 75%, or 100%, given that fact?

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
NathanFleischman
New Contributor III

I have seen the page, but it does not mention logical processors of which there 32, 2 for each core. How do I take that into account?

0 Kudos
NathanFleischman
New Contributor III

Also, I put it in a user-defined function in Python. What do you think might be wrong with that?

0 Kudos
NathanFleischman
New Contributor III

Also, I am using the Mosaic to New Raster tool.

0 Kudos
NathanFleischman
New Contributor III

Does that tool honor the Parallel Processing Factor?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

every tool... including

Mosaic To New Raster—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

has a section at the bottom of the help topic which states environment factors that are supported with an disclaimers....

Environments

Extent

Not valid for enterprise geodatabase

NathanFleischman
New Contributor III

Yes I noticed. However, I am using ArcGIS 10.6. I do not have ArcGIS Pro, unfortunately. The bad news with that is that Parallel Processing Factor is not listed in the Environments section on the page for Mosaic to New Raster. That environment is only available starting with ArcGIS 10.7 for that tool. Bother.

0 Kudos
NathanFleischman
New Contributor III

However, if I were to get ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS 10.7, how do I take logical processors into account.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

The link that Dan Patterson gives clearly talks about number of cores ... "processes will be divided between hardware cores (processors) built into the machine". You say you have 16 cores then setting this environment setting to 100% will use all 16 cores. As that page never mentions "logical processors" I would assume it would mean that tools would not distribute work over 32 logical processors.

0 Kudos