Model Builder Variables

05-16-2013 10:34 PM
ABSARASGHAR
New Contributor
Hello everyone,
                     I want to have details about all variables used in model builder. Is there any website link?
Actually I want to understand the basic concept that how I can use "select layer by attribute" as model parameter.
I want to use start date and end date as my model parameter.

Thanking in advance
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
Start with the product documentation.  See A Quick Tour of Modelbuilder.  This is a topic in the help system.  You'll find tutorials there and some good overview topics.  The specific topics on variables are Creating a stand-alone variable and Exposing tool parameters as model variables.
0 Kudos
EjayLai
New Contributor II
There are two videos available as well:

ModelBuilder - Getting Started

http://video.esri.com/watch/1817/modelbuilder-_dash_-getting-started

Building Tools with ModelBuilder
http://video.esri.com/watch/1820/building-tools-with-modelbuilder
0 Kudos
ABSARASGHAR
New Contributor
Thanks............ These videos seem to be very helpful. But have you created any parameter for start date and end date? If you could guide me in that regard.
0 Kudos
EjayLai
New Contributor II
Thanks............ These videos seem to be very helpful. But have you created any parameter for start date and end date? If you could guide me in that regard.

It sounds like you are looking for the for loop, e.g. for it meets a condition such as date range then run....

I guess you can give the details of your needs so that others can jump in to help.
0 Kudos
ABSARASGHAR
New Contributor
Actually I want to "select data by attribute" and then the further analysis on that and my attribute is date here. I want to create two date variables as model parameters. One for Start date and one for End date just to select a range of date from which my data should be selected.
0 Kudos
EjayLai
New Contributor II
The Select tool may work for you as it gives you the option to add SQL expressions.
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
It sounds like you want to use variable substitution.  This is a common case -- have the user enter some data and then build a query based on the data the user enters.  In this case, it's a couple of dates.

I'm going to refer you to a couple of help topics.

First, look at the Quick Tour about variable substitution.

Then there is a topic that shows many examples.  Examples 3 and 4 show building a query based on variable substitution.
0 Kudos