is there any way to point and click on a map and have the coordinate (lat/long) inserted at that point.

Jump to solution
08-19-2014 07:29 AM
deleted-user-dbztKEX9OVFt
New Contributor

Is there any way to point and click on a map and have the coordinate (lat/long) inserted at that point.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steve,

As I mentioned earlier you can find the "Add XY Coordinates" tool in the Data Management > Features toolbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steve,

What context are you talking about? ArcGIS Desktop, some Web API, ArcGIS Online?...

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

If you are talking about Javascript api @Tim Witt posted a blog about using location reverse look up.

Javascript API - Location Widget

0 Kudos
New Contributor

In ArcGis desktop what I am trying to do is insert a coordinate (lat/long) on every township corner, I was wondering if this could be done by going to each corner and clicking to insert that coordinate.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steve,

If you have a polygon that represents the townships then you can convert those to points using "Feature Vertices to Point" in the Data Management Tools > Features toolbox and then use "Add XY Coordinates" tool to the points and then label the points using the XY fields.

You can also go the route of creating a Phython tool AddIn to give you the ability to click on the map and have it add a text graphic with the XY for the mouse click location (much more involved and requires programming skills).

0 Kudos
MaraKaminowitz
Occasional Contributor

There are a few options that I can think of.
If you just need to grab a few coordinates, you can add a graphical point, double-click properties, and click the location tab. (see picture below).

If you have a lot of corners, create a point layer, and you can add the XY to all the points automatically.  Then you can use this to create labels or callouts.

If you already had the coordinated of the corners in the GIS layer you could also use the Add Label tool in the Drawing toolbar.

location.png

New Contributor

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll give them a try.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Mara   I created the point layer but not sure how to add the XY to all the points automatically, could you tell me how.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steve,

As I mentioned earlier you can find the "Add XY Coordinates" tool in the Data Management > Features toolbox.

New Contributor

Thanks Robert  that worked great.

Steve

0 Kudos