How to import TXT file?

01-28-2018 11:29 AM
MalgorzataMendela
New Contributor III

Hello,

could you please help me to import this TXT file into ArcMap.
My trials are ending with the error message 

I do not knwo what is wrong with this file.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
19 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Presumably you made this in some other program like Excel.

You would be advised to save it as a comma-separated values file rather than space-delimited.  you should then be able to add it as an Event Layer.

Also, make sure there are no blank lines at the end of the file.

MalgorzataMendela
New Contributor III

Dear Dan,
in my file there are no blank lines. Moreover, although I save the file as a comma-separated file, I still can not create an Event Layer, because there are no values to be chosen as X and Y

Here I attach the file again.

ob11_92.txt - Google Drive 

I would be grateful if you could help me solve this problem.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

works in 10.6 and pro

I will attach a shapefile

MalgorzataMendela1
New Contributor

Yes, I know, but why it doesn't work in 9.3.1? 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

During the year many enhancements may have been implemented in the software.  We are currently at version 10.6 and 9.3.1 was retired more than 4 years ago. In case you can, please update. In case you can't use, the data processed and offered to you. In case you have a lot of file to process, maybe a script can be written to help you process the files. 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

9.3.1?  Esri retired 9.3.1 software 3+ years ago.  I realize it still may "work" for you, but it is very difficult for people on GeoNet to troubleshoot, let alone explain, software that old. 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What version of ArcMap are you using?  And when you say, " import this TXT file into ArcMap," how exactly are you trying to import it?

I am running ArcMap 10.6, and I have no problem loading the file using "Add Data..." in the menu.

0 Kudos
MalgorzataMendela
New Contributor III

I am using ArcGIS 9.3.1 and I am trying to import this file by Tools->Add XY Data

0 Kudos