Select to view content in your preferred language

How to automatically calculate the angle between two intersecting polylines

Jump to solution
05-01-2016 02:43 PM
FatmaŞenol
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I have 52338 polygons which needs to be edited using the following rules;

The distance between the intersection point and the closest vertices on two  intersecting

polylines should be at least 1.2 meter as shown below. On the  other hand the distance

between two closest vertices should not be less than 2 meters. What I'm trying to do is

automatically calculate  the optimum angle angle between two polylines to meet the given

two rules as I explained above.

Intersection.jpg

ArcGIS Desktop doesn't have such built-in tool to calculate the angle as far as I know.

Is there any tool or script that you could suggest ?  If there is no such solution it would

also be great, to select vertices which are  2 meters apart from the intersection point.

I will be grateful for any help you could provide.

Regards

0 Kudos
33 Replies
WesMiller
Deactivated User

I have it downloaded. Once i get caught up i'll look at it.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Deactivated User

Attached is an updated model and the results. Below are the steps I used.

1. open new empty map
  2. add your polygons
  3. convert your polygons to lines Feature To Line—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop
  4. delete identical Delete Identical—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop
  5. open model in edit mode and set the input feature class to the above created and set other parameters as desired

Hope this helps.

The overlaps still give unwanted results

FatmaŞenol
Frequent Contributor

Hi Wes,

Please accept my apology for not writing earlier. I tested the updated model for several times and the result

seems to be correct. I have only one more question if you don't mind my asking. The make feature layer

tool in model does not create a point layer when I change name of the output layer and the workspace.

Did I miss something ? I attached the screenshot of  this tool to clarify my question. Could it be possible

to change the workspace or feature dataset ?

Make_Feature_Layer.png

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Deactivated User