Divide Large Polygon into Small Polygons

Jump to solution
03-05-2024 06:36 AM
MdTouhidurRahman
New Contributor II

I have a large polygon and a set of points. Now I want to divide the large polygon into small ones in a way that each point is a corner of small polygon. 

OR, is there any way to join the points in such a way that it produced the desired output as shown in the picture? I have tried "Points to Line", but it is not working.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 203410.pngScreenshot 2024-03-04 002903.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could try:

polygon to centerline

Polygon To Centerline (Topographic Production)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

followed by the transect tool on centerline, using a length that spans your polygon width

Generate Transects Along Lines (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

split accordingly

and/or a negative distance multiring buffer of appropriate distance could be split

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do your points have any attributes on them, like some kind of transect id? Combining the Points to Line tool with the Split tool could work.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
MdTouhidurRahman
New Contributor II

The point feature has attributes. But those are not sorted. If I select row by row from the attribute table, points from here and there are marking. So the points are not ordered. 

0 Kudos
MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

"Easy" / Brute-Force Method

If this polygon is the exact and only one where you need to do this, the fastest brute-force method would be using the split tool and snapping.

First, I'd cut along the thinner axis (red lines), then I'd cut on the longitudinal axis (green lines):

MErikReedAugusta_0-1709650529947.png

As long as snapping is turned on and you snap to every vertex along the way, it should work.

Programmatic / Tool Method

But if you need to do this on a bunch, then a tool might be necessary.  Off the top of my head, you'll likely need to first convert those points to a fishnet of lines.  Then you run "Feature to Polygon", feeding those lines in with your polygon, and it'll julienne it right up for you.

The tricky part is going to be the fishnet...

"Points to Linemight work, but I admit I haven't run it on a grid like this.  I think you'd still have to select each row, which is basically as labor-intensive as the Split tool, above.

If someone doesn't beat me to it, I might be able to gin up a python script using the Near Table or similar later today, but I need more caffeine for that.

0 Kudos
MdTouhidurRahman
New Contributor II

I need to do this on a bunch of features. The points are not ordered. If I select row by row from the attribute table, points from here and there. So "Points to Line" is not working. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could try:

polygon to centerline

Polygon To Centerline (Topographic Production)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

followed by the transect tool on centerline, using a length that spans your polygon width

Generate Transects Along Lines (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

split accordingly

and/or a negative distance multiring buffer of appropriate distance could be split

... sort of retired...
MdTouhidurRahman
New Contributor II

It worked. Thanks a lot! 

0 Kudos