create lines between points

06-15-2011 10:36 AM
JamesLeuzinger1
New Contributor
Hi there

I have a longitudinal profil point layer of a mountain stream. The points have x,y and height coordinates. I now want to calculate the distances between every point along the stream. Can anyone help me with this problem? Best regards James
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
Do you want distances between pairs of points along the stream, or between every pair of points in the feature class? You should check out the Near tool for 2D distances (requires ArcInfo license), or Near 3D for 3D distances (requires 3D Analyst).

Aside from that, it would be a relatively simple python script to loop through all points and calculate the distances from the coordinates.
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
From the title of your post and your question, it seems you want to create a line from points along each stream profile and get the distance between consecutive profile points (vertices along the profile line). Is that correct?

If you have ArcGIS 10 and Arcinfo license, you can try the following:
1. Assuming your points along each stream profile has a unique ID or field value, run the Points To Line tool with the profile ID as the Line Field. You will get a polyline for each stream profile.
2. Run the Split Line At Vertices tool to get lines between vertices. The Shape_length values of the split lines would be the distances you are looking for?

Regards,
0 Kudos