Comparing two point files with one polygon

Jump to solution
02-01-2018 09:47 AM
HannahSmith3
New Contributor II

I am doing some QA to some addressing. I have two address point files.

One from several years ago that  the address point is placed on the buildings (which I want the newer data to do). The second is a month old that the address points are at the centroid of the parcel layer.

I need to see where adjustments are needed. I was hoping to find a method to compare the two address points for changes in the address number and road name and the differences of the placement such as that number is not found within that parcel (polygon).

Anyone have any ideas? I have a Basic Licenses for ArcMap 10.5

0 Kudos
40 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

spatial join is to the closest feature Joe.. so no problem unless there are spatial options with the same distance.

ps... see the concatenation post to see the form of the fields and the concatenated fields to see if you have any suggestions as well

0 Kudos
HannahSmith3
New Contributor II

Yes exactly.  Your whole last paragraph is correct. That is exactly what/why. I just know some of these addresses (the house numbers) have been changed and I want to make sure that is represented as well. I am doing this for 911 dispatch. I came to this city a month ago and it turns out they did not have anyone doing GIS for over 4 years. So I received the new addresses from the county from the parcel data. Looking back 4 years to what had previously been done. So a lot of updates. But I do not want to loose the majority of those who have been placed over the building. Thank you for your assistance. I will try these out tomorrow! I will let you know how it goes!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I just got done with a 15 year stint doing 9-1-1 addressing; I feel your pain.  Something you might consider is forget the old and go with the new. Period. Four years is long enough to go between updates.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
HannahSmith3
New Contributor II

Okay so I have done the spatial joins for the Old addressing and the parcel. How do I select based on the differences between the two addresses?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I have to assume that the parcel data has its own parcel address.

You can now query your data such that:

OldAddress_Field <> ParcelAddressField

The result tells me that the parcel address has been updated from what you previously had.

OldAddress_Field = ParcelAddressField

Tells me that no change has been made.

HannahSmith3
New Contributor II

I realized my issue was the fact that when I made the new field for the full address. It left spaces when there was nothing in that field. Such as 

How do I do the concatenate so that there is not a space in the way screwing up the data?

Thank you for all of your help. You have been a life saver! 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

with strip().  Joe can translate into 'address-ese'

a = ['ab ', ' cd']
" ".join([i.strip() for i in a])
'ab cd'
0 Kudos
HannahSmith3
New Contributor II

Not going to lie but that looks like jibberish to me. Would you mind making it more simple for me? I am sorry to ask you to do my job for me but I am just confused.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I think the easiest thing to do would be start an edit session in ArcMap, open your attribute table, right click on the field in question and and a find or '  ' (two space bar hits between single quotes) and replace with ' '( one space bar hit between single quotes.)

If you have leading and or trailing white spaces, we can deal with those with python strip() the field calculator:

addressField =addressField.strip()

That should take care of both leading and trailing white space.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Joe... Hannah... what Joe said I new he could translate

0 Kudos