LAS

Jump to solution
02-02-2018 03:47 AM
tinigjeo
New Contributor

HI i have point xyz and can make LAS dataset?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any video explaining the steps, but if you can share the, let's say' first 100 records of the XYZ file, I can see if I can provide some more explanation on the steps to accomplish this.

View solution in original post

23 Replies
XanderBakker

I have done this in the past using LAStools (LAStools: converting, filtering, viewing, processing, and compressing LIDAR data in LAS format ). See a description here:https://community.esri.com/thread/34075#comment-210089 

According to the discussion in the idea: Ability to convert xyz point data to LAS format  It should be part of the Data Interop extension.

tinigjeo
New Contributor

have you any example video ?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I don't have any video explaining the steps, but if you can share the, let's say' first 100 records of the XYZ file, I can see if I can provide some more explanation on the steps to accomplish this.

tinigjeo
New Contributor

HI

ATTACH FILE DOC

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I notice that you have 2 elevation values. Which one do you want to use in the output LAS file? 

Is your decimal sign really a comma? This might need to be changed to point before processing the file, but I will confirm this.

0 Kudos
tinigjeo
New Contributor

IF IT ISNT PROBLEM USE ORTHOMTRIC  ELEVATION

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

No problem.

So, you first go the website I mentioned before:

LAStools: converting, filtering, viewing, processing, and compressing LIDAR data in LAS format 

You can scroll down to the tool txt2las.exe and click it (or any other tool, since it will download a ZIP with all the tools):

Or use this direct link:

http://lastools.org/download/LAStools.zip 

When you open the ZIP, you will notice that there is a large amount of information in it: In the LASTOOLS folder you will see a LICENSE.TXT file and you can verify that the txt2las is free:

This part of LAStools is "free" open-source LGPL (see COPYING.txt). To
purchase a different licensing model contact 'license@rapidlasso.com'.

* laszip
    * lasindex
    * lasvalidate
    * lasliberate
    * lasinfo
    * las2las
    * lasdiff
    * lasmerge
    * las2txt & txt2las
    * lasprecision
    * LASzip (with static linking exception)
    * LASlib (with LASzip) - the API used by LAStools.

What you will also see, is that Martin Isenburg has included a toolbox that allows you to process the data directly in ArcGIS.

If you unzip the files to a local folder, you can navigate to the folder and find the LAStools.tbx. Inside you will find the tool txt2las. Double click to open the tool:

Before you load the tool, you will need to change the decimal sign into a dot, since the comma will be interpreted as a field separator and mess up the result. So, if you can, open the text file and change the decimal sign from coma to a dot:

When we look at order of the fields we will see, this order:

Y   X   skip   Z

This is something that we will need to specify in the tool in order to interpret the data correctly:

So open the tool (if you haven't already) and specify the following:

• select the corrected text file
  • use "yxsz" as parse string, this will read Y, X, skip the third attribute, Z
  • skip 1 line (header)
  • Choose the LAS version
  • Select output format (las)
  • Specify the output file

When you run the tool it will generate the LAS file and it will be loaded to ArcMap (at least in 10.6 it will):

When we identify a LAS point and compare it with the input data it corresponds:

tinigjeo
New Contributor

I HAVE ARCGIS 10.4.1 IS PROBLEM THIS ?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

It shouldn't be a problem, since the website mentions:  All of the tools can also be run via a native GUI and are available as a LiDAR processing toolboxes for ArcGIS versions 9.3 and up 

Did you try and did you get any error?

0 Kudos