Can't understand the purpose of 3D Space-Time-Cube Analysis

04-12-2022 06:18 AM
barrylim
New Contributor III

Can someone explain me the benefit of a 3d space time cube analysis? if I understand it correctly, the cube is visualized in 3 D, but its not clearly arranged. For an analysis you go back to 2 D and check if there are for example persistant or sporadic hotspots. Whats the benefit of 3 D here?

Thx in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenWhite
New Contributor III

I think it's a neat way to visualize data, like a big rubix cube holding time information in each section, just, 3D. 

0 Kudos
barrylim
New Contributor III

okay but is it just "neat" or is there any benefit for analysis to visualize it in 3D and not in 2D? Because in the 2D View there is a possibility to analyze the time pattern too (look in the attached screenshot).

0 Kudos
OwenWhite
New Contributor III

hmmmmmm, im not sure, i only just started learning about them a couple of weeks ago. I think a way to analyze the data is to see it stacked (second attachment) it isnt just a random cube, it sits on the location itself. i don't know if that answers your question as i am just a beginner with space time analysis. 

spacetimecube.png

spacetimestack.pngspacetimeanalysis.png

barrylim
New Contributor III

At first, let me thank you for your reply :)! Let's compare the left picture and the right of your attachment 2. I think the left picture sits on the location too, and with the legend I can see the change of one hotspot over the time. Theres just one thing we can't analyse, for example if we look at a sporadic hotspot, when exactly it was hotspot and when it was not. This is possible in the right image but also only in the peripheral areas because inside the view is blocked. So I wonder if we really need the right picture hmm

OwenWhite
New Contributor III

maybe, maybe not, but keep in mind people also use it for animations in presentations !!!!!

0 Kudos