Why Maps Matter: Videos from Short Course All About Mapping

02-10-2021 05:20 PM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
0 0 1,354

Are maps "old school"?  Were they only relevant in the age of traversing the ocean on exploratory ships, and outdated in our digital age?  Are they only important when you were memorizing place names when you were a primary or secondary school student?  As a passionate geographer, educator, and GIS professional, one of my aims is to help people in all walks of life to see that yes, maps are still relevant.  I would contend that maps are more relevant now than ever.  I also want people to see the value of the spatial thinking and the smart decisions that maps enabled by Geographic Information Systems (GIS) can help foster.   Each year I therefore write articles, give presentations, and teach courses for the general public and others about these topics in the hope that maps and geotechnologies will be understood and supported by a broader spectrum of society.  In keeping with this theme, I have recorded a series of videos from a short course entitled Why Maps Matter, which I am sharing here.  A total of 8 videos exist in this playlist, covering a total of two hours of content. 

The course and videos show that maps are more than reference documents (what's where?).  They are analytical tools critical for understanding our world (why is it there?).  They are tools for taking action (why should we care?).  In so doing, maps and GIS enable us to build a more sustainable and resilient future. This set of videos will help you understand why maps matter--yes, even in our digital age, now more than ever.  The videos will also empower you to use these modern interactive maps, powered by web based Geographic Information Systems.   

Tools used in these videos include ArcGIS Online, web mapping applications such as dashboards and story maps, field tools such as Survey123, data libraries such as the ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World, and other mapping and visualization tools such as GapMinder and WorldMapper's cartograms.  Scales covered range from local (urban greenways) to global (Human Development Index, population change, plate tectonics, and more).  Topics covered range from land use, human health, energy, water, soils, natural hazards, population change and demographics, ecoregions, transportation, and many more. Themes covered include the Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence, and crowdsourcing, but again, from a non-technical standpoint aimed at the general public.  Therefore, these are quite suitable to share with your friends who wonder why you get so excited about maps and GIS.  These videos will also enable you to create your own maps on topics that you care about, even in your own community!

JosephKerski_0-1613006331021.png

Why Maps Matter--series of videos and course. 

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.