Select to view content in your preferred language

The value of geography and GIS education

10-16-2023 09:04 PM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
4 0 1,171

I recently developed and gave a presentation about the value of geography and GIS education to a state legislature. It is my hope that this presentation and the perspectives and links contained within it will be useful to many in the community. 

I gave the presentation in story map format, in part because I wanted to demonstrate the utility of web GIS tools, including in this very context.  The story map is here:  https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/02d8f1118ae04f44acf98457fd1cf791 

The presentation I gave using the above story map is in video form here:  https://youtu.be/z_uUq4fPKxI?si=Ey7WhJF9XiRbpdYB 

JosephKerski_0-1697515502421.png

The presentation begins with a 3D scene with some key "stops"--why use location as a framework for study?  What is geography? What is geography not?  What are examples of geographic questions?  What are maps? Why are maps representations of reality?  What are the implications of maps as representations? 

Next, I make the case that mapping and spatial analysis give students "superpowers" for their career and to empower positive change.  I then anchor maps and spatial analysis in real people, places, and issues.  Next, I salute my audience for their leadership in this area but encourage them to think BIG -- and to consider what it would take to infuse geographic thinking and GIS into all levels of education and in all disciplines.

After describing my own background and why I believe I am qualified to make statements and recommendations in these areas, I ask the audience:  What do you care about?  What do you want to see in society? I then make the case that we feel empowered in these modern times with data, an expert community, and powerful tools, but we also feel challenged and vulnerable.  How can we move beyond discouragement into action and positive change?  I believe that applying GIS to solving problems helps us chart a positive, resilient, sustainable path forward.

I then asked, Why do this here, and why do this now?  I describe  5 reasons why GIS is relevant to education and to society. I make the case that all societal issues affecting our communities, our regions, our country, and our world are spatial issues, and hence GIS can help us understand and solve those issues.  I state that GIS helps us understand the present - the way things are - but also helps us envision how things could be.  I then show relevant case studies and web maps and apps that people have created to envision that change.  I provide guidelines for learners, career pathways, descriptions of leaders in GIS education, and student-created projects.  I give an overview of the extent and subjects in which GIS is taught. 

I close with what I believe to be the 6 most important skills for students, and 5 recommendations for moving forward.  Can you guess that these skills and recommendations are?  See the above story map and video to find out!

I look forward to hearing your reactions to this story map and video, how you might use this research in your own work and advocacy, and any recommendations for how this resource could be even more useful for you in the future. 

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.