Innovative Critical Approaches to Place: Teaching Narrative Mapping in Southern New Mexico Brings GIS to an Expanded Array of Disciplines

04-22-2023 11:38 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
2 0 1,698

As GIS becomes more approachable and more powerful as it advances, it is reaching disciplines that were almost inconceivable a few short years ago.  The Critical Approaches to Place: Teaching Narrative Mapping initiative from New Mexico State Univer... is a manifestation of precisely this trend.  This project is bringing GIS to the fingertips of the university's researchers, their teaching faculty, and students, particularly in the arts and humanities.  

This effort is a three-year curriculum development and community engagement initiative funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities' Initiatives at Hispanic Serving Institutions, of which New Mexico State University is a part.   The initiative brings diverse faculty together to imagine and bring to reality courses and programs informed by humanities approaches to place, sustainability, and the environment at the university. 

I was honored to be a part of this effort, as it embodies one of the core missions of the Esri education team--to bring spatial thinking and GIS tools and methods to disciplines outside its traditional core.   It also meshed well with Esri's new social science research initiative.  I was brought in to conduct workshops in web mapping applications, including but not limited to ArcGIS Story Maps (here is some of the content I created for this effort).   As I often advocate that the audience watching my videos and attending my career workshops seize opportunities to work with a group that is completely "outside of your normal wheelhouse", I jumped at the opportunity here to work with students and faculty in fine arts and humanities.  It turned out that the geo-enviro community and I have much in common with this arts and humanities:  Space and place are intertwined with telling stories through narrative, music, painting, and sculpture.  We have a deep connection with space and GIS can bring the digital and analog tools together in innovative and creative ways.   See a few of the resulting story maps here.

nmsu-storymaps.JPG

Selected story maps from the NMSU community as a result of this project.

I learned a great deal from Professor Kerry Banazek and Professor Eric Magrane and all those involved in this initiative, namely, that environmental and place-based themes are often framed vis-à-vis “problems that require address by STEM disciplines, but the humanities offer essential insights into place, the environment, and entanglement of related issues with cultural dynamics and power imbalances."  Global environmental challenges encapsulated by the designation of the “Anthropocene,” a proposed geologic epoch that marks human impact on the Earth, have facilitated a growth of geohumanities and aligned environmental humanities research, but organized pedagogical programs in this vein remain relatively few--hence the importance of this effort at NMSU.

While environmental challenges such as climate change, population dynamics, water, and energy are global in scope, they play out in particular ways in particular places and scales. The university is located in the Chihuahuan Desert, where sustainability issues such as water use, agriculture, and the urban heat island effect are of critical importance—and are intertwined with social challenges along the US/Mexico border.

Slide1.PNG

New Mexico State University:  Photographs I took during one of my campus visits there.

It has been wonderful to serve as one of the industry partners to NMSU in this initiative, and it fits perfectly into the university's strong history of educational outreach and successful partnership with business and nonprofit organizations.  I encourage you to investigate this initiative and consider whether components will work on your own campus.

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.