GIS Career Pathway Guidelines

04-24-2018 10:25 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
1 2 1,924

I recently gave a presentation focused on providing guidelines for those who are seeking a career in GIS or a related career that will include GIS in some significant way (such as in city planning, wildlife biology, health informatics, and so on), and have posted it here.  The guidelines includes strategies on networking, resumes vs. CVs, interviewing, writing a cover letter, online presence, creating a storymap of your CV, and much more.  I am grateful to my colleague Nick Kelch at Esri for some of his words of wisdom and slides as I prepared this presentation.  In the presentation, I include links to videos and other presentations I have created on this topic.  I am very excited about the future for anyone involved with geospatial technology, as it becomes a fundamental part of 21sdt Century decision making.

I hope it is helpful and I look forward to your feedback. 

Tags (3)
2 Comments
FaizaAhmed
New Contributor

Great guide. Very adaptable to any career and/or profession. the templates were very concise and unique. Like many people, I am stuck in that (need experience for work, but need to work for experience) conundrum. What is the best way to find entry level GIS jobs? 

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you !  You might check geosearch.com and also some selected listservs such as state or country GIS forums which often have postings - and also some societies such as scgis.org that include job postings on their listservs.  I hope this helps and best wishes.

--Joseph Kerski

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.