Select to view content in your preferred language

Avoiding Related Videos display in Story maps or Map Notes

08-28-2020 02:02 PM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
0 0 729

I think many of you in education (and beyond) can relate to this:

When you embed a video in a story
map or in a map note, when it is done playing, by default it shows you the “related” videos –
and “related” is definitely in quotes!  Sometimes these are really
embarrassing and sit there in your story map as a set of “tiled” choices, OR
worse yet, are on the “big screen” when you are presenting to a group. 

Here is a little tip to avoid that:

So, for example, compare this
embed video of mine (you can skip to just a few seconds to the end to test it):
https://www.youtube.com/embed/4IoImv0SyLM?rel=0

versus this one:  https://www.youtube.com/embed/4IoImv0SyLM

The one with the rel=0 does not
show the “related” ones at the end!  It only shows other videos in my own channel.

If you forget the ?rel=0 code,
then in YouTube just go to Share, Embed, and Show More, and you’ll see the
choice there that you can Uncheck to avoid the related video display.

Now, keep in mind that videos, like GIS, rapidly evolves, so when you read this, the procedures might be somewhat different--but do some research and it will surely be something along the lines of adding a tag such as that above. 

Thanks to Owen Evans for the information!

Tags (2)
About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.