Select to view content in your preferred language

A review of the book Navigating the World with GIS: A Companion for World Regional Geography

12-11-2022 06:49 PM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
1 0 1,295

Resources to incorporate GIS tools into core disciplines are increasingly in demand.  This article reviews one such resource, a book entitled Navigating the World with GIS:  A Companion for World Regional Geography.  The book I believe could be very useful for instructors and students seeking to not only build GIS skills, but to foster learning of core content, build spatial thinking skills, and foster critical thinking and problem solving.

In my work over these past decades supporting the education community, I have met numerous innovative teachers, professors, students, researchers, deans, facility managers, librarians, and many others.  Two of the most innovative faculty members I know teach at Texas Christian University (TCU), Sean Crotty and Kyle Walker.  Not only do these instructors teach GIS, but they also are very active in spreading GIS and spatial thinking as a methodology and approach in several different disciplines, including business and geography.  We at Esri have an ongoing partnership with TCU, for example in the area of location analytics in business.  In that same work I have encountered dozens of publishers, and I have always had great respect for the publisher of this book, Kendall Hunt, and their innovative offerings in many disciplines including geography. 

This book can be used in earth and environmental science, and even in sociology, but it is in geography where this book really shines brightest and has most use.  Navigating the World with GIS: A Companion for World Regional Geography lives up to its title--it is a companion to and builds upon core world regional geography concepts--scale, cultural and physical regions, changes over space and time, flow and networks, human modification of the landscape, and much more.  It does so thoughtfully, with a proper balance between focusing on how to use tools and data and the bigger questions that must be asked and grappled with as the tools and data are being used.  The authors thankfully do not attempt to deal with every aspect of geography in the book, but rather, take case studies and problems that highlight specific aspects of our world, such as the geography of a global sporting event, such as the World Cup, or maritime disputes.  I think that is the right approach to take in any massive subject such as geography, chemistry, history, and others--as educators we must inspire students' interest in the topic and not drown them in a content deluge. 

I believe the most useful aspect of the book is its focus on ArcGIS Online as a learning and investigative tool:  ArcGIS Online provides enough power and functionality without requiring any software to install and without overwhelming students with too many tools.   ArcGIS Online can run on any device, anytime, and contains tools to map, analyze, visualize, and communicate the results of any investigation from local to global scale.  The labs demonstrate the power that GIS to solve problems in society:  It will be clear to the students that GIS is not just being used to teach with and learn from--that it is used in nonprofits, industry, government, and academia to make smarter decisions.  This is the same tool and my approach with many courses I have developed and placed online recently, including this environmental science course.  

The book can be used as a companion to core readings and lectures in geography in its entirety, or parts of the book can be used to lend an active learning component to, for example, economic inequality, health, or demographic change.  The book can be used at the community college or university level and even in upper secondary schools. 

This book has been around for several years, and indeed, when I talked with the authors about the fact that I intended to write this review, I could imagine what was going through their minds.  Writing curricular items tied to any technology as rapidly advancing as GIS is bound to show some screenshots that are out of date and data sets that have moved.  That's the case with this book but I believe it does stand up very well to the test of time.  Thus I believe it merits attention in the library of relevant teaching materials based on GIS available today.  Other resources include Chris Carter's Esri Press book Introduction to Human Geography using ArcGIS Online and my own environmental science course mentioned above and this complete course in modern GIS.   As an instructor, you have a wonderful array of teaching resources, geospatial tools, and rich data sources at your fingertips to share with your students, and Crotty and Walker's book is an excellent resource.

crotty_arcgis_book.PNG

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.