Select to view content in your preferred language

A new way of understanding our world: Digital Earth

07-08-2024 09:01 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
3 0 440

How can we more fully and deeply understand our planet, augment our ability to improve its resiliency and sustainability, and, while doing so, gain key skills in demand in the workforce?  A new Digital Earth set of online courses has been developed and placed online by my colleagues at the University of Denver and I.  We invite you to join in on this exciting opportunity to deepen your investigation of Earth processes, patterns, and trends through geotechnologies.  In addition, given the approachable and engaging way these courses are structured, they are ideal for sharing with others in your circle of influence who might think of geotechnologies as "just maps" or somehow have an outdated or incomplete notion of why GIS matters. 

To find these courses:  1.  Go to https://www.edx.org/ and search for GIS > Expand the results and select Digital Earth, or:  2.  Go directly to: DUX: MicroMaster's Geographic Information Systems [edx.org]  To learn more about the University of Denver's GIS master's program, see:  https://universitycollege.du.edu/gis/geographic-information-science-masters-concentration/ 

Two courses are already available, as follows:

Digital Earth:  This course aims to establish a solid foundation in utilizing mapping tools by teaching the creation, symbolization, and application of GIS-based digital maps for problem-solving and communication on pivotal 21st-century issues. Participants will develop essential skills in spatial analysis through practical exercises, and more critically, gain insights into the technological and societal impacts of these tools. This understanding will enable learners to navigate and contribute to 21st-century society effectively using these tools and perspectives.

Digital Earth, Deeper Dive:  This course follows the Digital Earth course and provides a deeper dive into the theoretical foundations and practical applications for social and ecological problem-solving through the application of geotechnologies. Geotechnologies include Geographic Information Systems (GIS), examining the world through imagery collected by drones, aircraft, and satellites (remote sensing), and positioning from GPS or Global Navigation Satellite Systems.

images_from_edx.gif

A selection of images and activities from the Digital Earth courses, or see them here

What makes these online geotechnology courses different?  These courses approach GIS in an applied, action-oriented way:  Right away, you begin investigating diverse phenomena and issues such as the HDI Human Development Index by country, historical tornado pattern in the USA, take a field survey and see the results instantly on a map and dashboard, and explore issues of energy, water, population change, human health, natural hazards, and others using web GIS maps and apps.  Along the way, you will learn some underlying fundamentals such as how to map a table, how to create predominance, relationship, and pie chart maps, how to consider map projections, but the focus is on rolling up your sleeves to map and investigate, right from the start.  You will use ArcGIS Online, including the Map Viewer, instant apps, ArcGIS Survey123, story maps, Color Brewer, cartograms, and other tools, all using a standard web browser without having to sign in or make an account anywhere but in the course EdX platform itself.  In short, these courses embrace the "modern GIS" approach that my colleagues and I have been encouraging, focusing on web GIS tools, data as services, creating web maps and apps, as detailed here.

This program delves into the theory and art of map making, a practice that has evolved over thousands of years and has been revolutionized by modern computer technology. It is designed to immerse students in the use of advanced computer techniques to address technical design issues, enabling them to create accurate and meaningful automated geographic mapping products. Through a series of comprehensive hands-on exercises, students will utilize Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software to produce typical GIS mapping products, thereby gaining valuable practical experience in the application of geotechnologies.
The courses within this program provide a robust combination of theoretical foundations and practical applications aimed at solving complex social and ecological problems through the use of geotechnologies. These geotechnologies encompass GIS, remote sensing (which involves examining the world through imagery collected by drones, aircraft, and satellites), and positioning systems such as GPS and Global Navigation Satellite Systems. Students will engage with a broad range of social and environmental themes through an array of readings, videos, and interactive exercises. This multifaceted approach ensures that students learn the critical fundamentals of mapping tools, including projections, symbology, classification, and analysis.

Throughout the program, students will not only build web mapping applications, such as interactive dashboards and multimedia story maps, but they will also have the opportunity to collect and map their own field data. This practical experience is crucial in helping students develop the skills and confidence needed to use maps as powerful analytical tools. By engaging in these activities, students will learn how to effectively communicate complex data and spatial information through visually compelling and informative maps.

The program emphasizes the importance of using geotechnologies to address real-world problems and promotes the development of solutions that contribute to a more sustainable and resilient future. By the end of the program, students will have a deep understanding of how to leverage these technologies to analyze and interpret spatial data, making them well-equipped to tackle a variety of challenges in both social and ecological contexts.  There are free and payment-for-additional-credit options. 

To see more detail and/or to register for Digital Earth, see:

https://www.edx.org/learn/gis-geographic-information-systems/university-of-denver-dux-university-col... 

To see more detail and/or to register for Digital Earth, Deeper Dive, see:

https://www.edx.org/learn/earth-sciences/university-of-denver-digital-earth-deeper-dive

This program prepares students to be leaders in the field of geotechnologies, providing them with the knowledge and practical skills necessary to make significant contributions to society. Whether they are interested in environmental conservation, urban planning, disaster response, or any other field that relies on spatial data, students will find that this program equips them with the tools to create positive change through the power of mapping and geographic analysis.

These courses can be a part of a GIS MicroMasters program that you could pursue at the University of Denver, enabling you to gain credit that will count toward a University of Denver certificate or degree. 

Taking these courses position you well for advancing in your career because spatial thinking will be in your mind and GIS skills will be on your toolbelt.  These perspectives and skills are increasingly in demand in government, nonprofit organizations, industry, and academia.  

We plan to follow up these two courses for a deeper dive in a set of two more courses called Planet Earth.

I invite you to take these courses and tell others about them.  I look forward to your reactions!

--Joseph Kerski 

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.