mxd document

06-06-2017 06:52 PM
EshaniDiluka
New Contributor II

Hello everyone..!!

My question is, are there any way to open .mxd file or .mxd format map from our computer (working computer) to different computer with all layers. That is mean, after we save our layers and features in our desktop, if we bring all folders of specific map, to another computer is it possible to see them in new computer. I failed doing it...

If there is any possible settings or if there are any possible other options to do this, please let me know..

Thank You.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Eshani,

Can you give more details on this? What do you mean you failed in doing this? Screenshots help too.

Does the other computer have the same version of ArcMap on it? If not, you will need to Save As Copy and save it "down" to whatever previous version it is

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/map/working-with-arcmap/saving-a-map.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_47EB...

If that isn't the case, then maybe it is an issue with your layers. What kind of GIS file are you using in this mxd?

EshaniDiluka
New Contributor II

Thank You Adrian Welsh. I am using Arcgis 10.1 version and I wanted to transfer .mxd document to other computer . But once you transfer it, you are not able to see the activated layers. Layers are disable. (This .mxd format basically support only with the computer you creating that document. You can not see that file, copying in  another computer).

The solution you showed was helpful. Thank You. I think the best way to transfer .mxd document to other computer with all features, is sharing it as Map Package using Arc Online.

And following option is also to activate the disable layers and you have to transfer shape-files as well for this one.

Layers/ Layer Properties/ Source/ set data Source

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Eshani,

If you have the same version of ArcMap on both the machines (i.e. same build for ArcGIS Desktop) and the same extensions that are in use (e.g Network Analyst etc.). You simply need to ensure that you maintain the exact same folder structure. 

When you create an ArcMap document, you can specify that paths will be stored as relative paths. To set this option, look under the File menu and click Map Document Properties. Here, you can specify whether to store absolute or relative paths. Once this setting is applied there should not be an issue with the layer sources missing (red exclamation). This will be crucial since it is possible that on your work machine you might be using C drive (C:\MapData\MapDocuments) but on the second machine you might have copied everything over to another drive (X😕MapData\MapDocuments), if you check the relative path option you can copy the all the data keeping the folder structure exactly the same (i.e. MapData\MapDocuments) and paste it to another machine and it should open just fine.

Please refer:

However, if I were in your place I'd go for map packages. This is a neat way of transferring all your data along with the latest edits in data and layer properties. For opening a map package you'd need the same or higher version of ArcGIS Desktop and the same extensions in case you are using any.

Please refer:

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
EshaniDiluka
New Contributor II

Thank You Shantonu Sarkar. Yes I also agree with your solution. Sharing the .mxd document as map package is the best way. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Did you read this "Sharing" an .mxd file, I think Dan's Reply will be helpful for your case. 

EshaniDiluka
New Contributor II

Thank you for sharing the source Abdullah Anter. Yes it is helpful.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

For others the direct link is .... and it is nothing more than putting files where they are 'relative to' the folder location of the *.mxd.  Packages are also useful should the need also arise or you want a slightly different approach should your file management be sketchy or you live under data management constraints.