000361 : The name starts with an invalid character

08-06-2017 10:17 AM
SophiNeuner
New Contributor III

Hello everyone!

I keep getting this error, but i just don´t know why. It doesn´t matter what command i run. At its simple commands like a clip for 2 polygons. The files have no invalid characters and also not the outcome.

I got it all in a model and it worked before. I loaded the model into a new model just to run the single steps but still doesn´t work.

Does anyone has any ideas?

Thank you!
Best regards,
Sophia

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

details on the inputs that you are using is the only way to resolve it.  What you think may not be an invalid character, may indeed be... for example, rasters can't begin with a number.. and there are other things that are invalid, even though they appear alphanumeric

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Does the tool work fine independently (outside Model)?

In what format are the feature classes stored?

Could you share a screenshot of a tool with both input/output FC parameters filled?

Think Location
0 Kudos
SophiNeuner
New Contributor III

Now i wanted to run it again to show you all the details and now i got again a different error...

I know that this one is mentioned quite often. But i keep getting this one or 000361.

I changed the projection of my inputs before. They were both in Geographic Coordinate Systems and i projected them onto ETRS_1989. Could there be an error?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here are a few things to do/check before you execute the model/tool.

1. Ensure the projection system of both Clip and Input features are same.

2. Run Repair Geometry on both the feature classes to rectify any geometry issue.

3. Disable background Processing. Foreground and background processing—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Think Location
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you are working in Europe, why is there a North American Datum transformation being used?

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Good catch!!!

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then of course, there is the obvious help topic link to the error message.... which is hard to find since there is no "error messages" page

You wouldn't a pesky % symbol lurking around from some iterator in your model (or whatever they use % for)

shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

I believe the % is for the wildcard entry.

~Shan
0 Kudos
DhruvaJandhyala
New Contributor

Replying 6 years later because I had this same problem today. What worked for me was removing all of the spaces from my field names. You can replace them with underscores if you'd like.

Cheers

0 Kudos