Cannot print. Very frustrating problem.

03-26-2019 09:19 AM
CarlTownsend1
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm trying to use the print widget but it fails with the error message failed to create layer from service at http....../..../.../....etc. doesn;'t matter the page size or format, it always fails.

I'm using webAppBuilder 2.11 on our dev server and using locallayer to bring in layers from ArcGIS Server 10.6 via a published mxd.

I had the same problem when I was trying to develop a mapping service using the javascript api. printing would not work there either (It fails silently)

Assuming the print service is an out of the box solution, what else can I look at? I've looked at the setting on ArcGIS server,  I've also tried logging onto our server loading up the map and printing directly from there with no luck. I've really hit a brick wall here and everything I've tried does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could try looking next? Thanks.

87 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Chris - This is not exactly correct but hopefully close enough.  To be specific, the account running ArcGIS Server is a windows active directory account that is part of the local Administrators group across all of Enterprise - Portal, Server, Web Server, Datastores, Shared config and sever directories...  The ArcGIS Server that is supplied at install and during upgrade account is, does and continues to have administrative level permissions.  It can read and write everywhere in our Windows 2016 VM environment.

ChristoforosKatsaounis
Esri Contributor

Thank you David. Yes, we are seeing some slightly different behaviors depending on whether the Run-As account for ArcGIS Server is a local account vs a domain account, we are documenting them in the same bug at this time as the end result is the same.

The main difference so far seems to be with the workaround of adding the account in the Windows Administrators group - testing with a local account the Map Viewer could print the MAP_ONLY template but not the others. But in the Portal Web AppBuilder all the templates worked.

0 Kudos
AndresEcheverri
Occasional Contributor

Hi Christoforos Katsaounis

Is there any light about fixing the bug?. We were going to upgrade from 10.7 to 10.8.1, but an ESRI Consultant informed us about the bug, so we stopped the upgrade until knowing if there is a solution in the short term.

Thanks for any info about this topic.

Andres

0 Kudos
ChristoforosKatsaounis
Esri Contributor

Hi Andres, thank you for reaching out. This defect is being worked on, once there is a fix it will be announced.

VictorTey
Esri Contributor

HI @IgorStreltsov1  I came across the exact same error you have posted. Did you manage to find a solution? does layout.exportToPDF rely on a printservice to print to pdf (Based on your comment that your colleague created a test script in python)? If yes how does it determine which print service it is accessing?

0 Kudos
HelenZhou
Occasional Contributor II

Tahu,

I can't get print widget to work when the WAB dev app is deployed to a web application server even for non-secured map services. I have not tested the buildin WAB printing widget.

The error shoes that the output directory is pointing to the output printing folder at local drive. But I am able to run the printing job in the Execute print rest end point successfully by using the Web_Map_as_JSON captured from the dev network tool.

Are there any progress or work around from the bug you mentioned? thanks

Helen

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello all,

Thank you for all your patience, support and help to reproduce this issue. We released a patch earlier today. Please download this new patch for 10.8.1 and apply. This should resolve the issue you ran into. Please let us know if something does not work properly.

https://support.esri.com/en/download/7834

Thanks.

Tanu

cc: David Coley‌, Craig Russell‌, Igor Streltsov‌, Andres Echeverri‌, Helen Zhou

RafaelFernandes_de_Souza
New Contributor III

Hello Tanu Hoque,

My problem is in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1. I'm using ArcGIS Server as hosting server and another ArcGIS Server as Image Server in the same deployment. Both Servers are federated with Portal for ArcGIS.

When I try to print a map with services from Image Server and GIS Server, the request made by GIS Server to Image Server is wrong and the print task returns a error.
   We've tried to resolve changing the request and sending it in REST API, and it works, but we cannot change the request made by GIS Server to Image Server. 

Our client was using GIS and Image Server in the same ArcGIS Server before, but now that we made this separation for performance issues, we cannot print maps that contain Rasters from Image server anymore.

Can you help me with this issue?

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

hi Rafael Fernandes de Souza‌,

that sounds like a bug. Can you pls reach out to Esri Tech Support and give us steps to reproducible? and we will look into this.

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Tanu - yes seems to be functioning properly in both the Enterprise map viewer, map viewer beta, and Web App Builder print widget.  Seems to work with raster layers, feature layers with and without labels, vector tile layers, image service layers and cached map service layers.  Can't test the dynamic map service layer in WAB because I don't have any, but I'm sure they print as well