Utility Network Trace Widget

Jump to solution
03-11-2022 03:43 PM
LoganSuhr_PSE
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I currently have an electric utility network service published and then consumed inside a map with a few named trace configurations enabled.  I feel comfortable using these named configurations in Pro, but I'm really looking for a web app widget to trace a UN.  Where does this widget exist?

I don't see the widget when configuring a new WAB app in Portal.  I don't see it as an available widget in the 'stemapp/widgets' folder when trying to configure a custom web app.  And finally, I don't see it in the Experience Builder either.

I am trying to follow this post:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/utility-network/data-management/trace-a-utility-network-wi...

Can somebody explain it to me like I'm 5?  Where is the MapView config and what do I have to do to get the UN trace widget?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @LoganSuhr_PSE ,

The UtilityNetworkTrace widget is provide in the JSAPI for developers, and is not currently available in other ArcGIS app builders such as Experience Builder.

The widget will be available in Experience Builder as beta, and in the Sidebar Instant App template at the end of March 2022, with the upcoming ArcGIS Online update. You will be able to use this widget in ArcGIS Online by publishing your web map with your Utility Network service and the Trace Configurations directly to your ArcGIS Online organization. The widget will also be available in Experience Builder developer edition 1.8 to use with your current version of Portal.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

HI there,

The post you are trying to follow is using the Javascript API in their own website they have built from scratch or using WAB Developers Edition.

It has nothing to do with WAB within Portal.

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @LoganSuhr_PSE ,

The UtilityNetworkTrace widget is provide in the JSAPI for developers, and is not currently available in other ArcGIS app builders such as Experience Builder.

The widget will be available in Experience Builder as beta, and in the Sidebar Instant App template at the end of March 2022, with the upcoming ArcGIS Online update. You will be able to use this widget in ArcGIS Online by publishing your web map with your Utility Network service and the Trace Configurations directly to your ArcGIS Online organization. The widget will also be available in Experience Builder developer edition 1.8 to use with your current version of Portal.

LoganSuhr_PSE
New Contributor III

Thanks, @AlixVezina.  Thanks great to hear about upcoming enhancements.  Maybe I missed it, but did you have a sample app posted anywhere that folks can use as a lightweight starting point?  I have a number of clients that would really enjoy seeing this demonstrated with their own networks.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@LoganSuhr_PSE 

We'll be adding a sample to the JSAPI documentation shortly.

In the meantime, you can also setup your own application. 

Attached is a HTML file with a sample Trace in it. Drop this file into your webserver and view it in a browser.

Open the file in a text editor and you will see 2 places to put your info:
<YOUR WEBMAP ID>
<YOUR PORTAL URL>
If you want to change the map extent, update line 58.

GIS_Solutions
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Alix,

Where exactly should we put this html file on the webserver?

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

You'll want to place it in your web server root. For example, Windows machines, default is C:\inetpub\wwwroot. For Apache it's normally /var/www/html...

If you don't have that folder, you'll need to look up the documentation for enabling Internet Information Services for that web server.

Also, I'd recommend always using the widget's latest sample code from our documentation: UtilityNetworkTrace widget | Sample Code | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.24 | ArcGIS Developers

0 Kudos
AneteZvaigzneLV
New Contributor III

Hi Logan, This brand new blog post from @AlixVezina might also be usefull! 

I am really confused about the "publish to AGOL", I had understood that Utility Network services can be published only to Portal from an Enterprise sde. So it means it can also be published from Enterprise sde to AGOL? Sorry for my silly question. 

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AneteZvaigzneLV ,

Thank you for the feedback, I'll see if I can clarify that section of the blog.

As you specified, the utility network services can be published to Portal from an Enterprise sde. But your map (containing the service you published to your Enterprise Portal) can also be published to ArcGIS Online and reference that utility network service.

bives_rwu
New Contributor II

@AlixVezina   I have been attempting to create a basic trace application based on this blog post: Configure an Application to Trace a Utility Network . I have added my Utility network to a map and created a Trace configuration that is shared within that map. The web map has been shared with my organization.

Trying to follow along with the blog post, I do not see the Sidebar template in Experience builder. Was this removed?

Also, I am unable to see the Utility Network Widget if I use any other type of experience builder template. Is there criteria that the widget needs to be available?

I am on Enterprise Version: 10.91 and I have my utility network shared as a feature service. The webmap containing the utility feature service is shared with my portal. Any advice or ideas are appreciated.

0 Kudos