Select to view content in your preferred language

Does field type matter performance wise when assigning domains

Jump to solution
11-15-2023 05:27 AM
Jens_Dalsgaard
Frequent Contributor

Reading here (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/an-overview-of-attribute-do...) it appears that the field to which a domain is assigned can be of many data types. 

So is it shear imagination when I believe I've Esri heard recommend using data type Integer to obtain best possible performance?

Jens Dalsgaard
Principal Product Owner
Power Grid, V O L U E
jens.dalsgaard&@volue.com
Volue Technology Denmark A/S
Alfred Nobels Vej 27
9220 Aalborg Øst, Denmark
volue.com
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

in a RDBMS, integers will outperform strings, especially when indexed or searched.  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

in a RDBMS, integers will outperform strings, especially when indexed or searched.  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
GregKeith
Frequent Contributor

The domain's descriptions can be text for integer fields. Ex:

Code     Description
1             Yes
0             No

Entering data via dropdowns will display the description and save the code value. You'd need to keep in mind what the values represent when working with the data, such as not thinking the actual value is the string 'Yes'.

0 Kudos
JoaquinMadrid1
Regular Contributor

Hi Jens... as John already indicated, spot on, performance-wise integer values are strongly recommended. Now then, if planning the migration of a legacy system to a new schema, keep also in mind the impact of changing data types on other supporting applications.

So, and still strongly recommending the use of integers, I also recommend that you ask yourself whether you will need to overhaul some existing integrations and/or reporting engines adjusting them to now using the integer types, and what the cost of this effort may be. (If you are doing the migration for a client, they would appreciate the insight.)

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Indeed, the best design practice is to have your domains as integer fields and create an index on those columns.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
0 Kudos
Jens_Dalsgaard
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. My intentions were backed. 

Jens Dalsgaard
Principal Product Owner
Power Grid, V O L U E
jens.dalsgaard&@volue.com
Volue Technology Denmark A/S
Alfred Nobels Vej 27
9220 Aalborg Øst, Denmark
volue.com
0 Kudos