Select to view content in your preferred language

Maintain source editor tracking fields

11-14-2023 10:04 AM
TobeyKane-Seitz
Occasional Contributor

Hello UN community! I'm looking for ideas/options to maintain source editor tracking field values (creator, creation date, etc.) when migrating to the utility network. The values are currently getting populated on creation of the UN, so they're all the same creator and creation date. All ideas are appreciated

3 Replies
VanessaSimps
Frequent Contributor
Do you currently have a creator/creation date... in your data you are trying to maintain?
Can you turn off editor tracking during the migration?
Can you create new fields prior to migration use calculate to populate them. Then when you migrate you can re-pop the editor tracking fields with those values and be on your way?
0 Kudos
TobeyKane-Seitz
Occasional Contributor

Yes, we have values we are hoping to maintain. The second method you recommended is what I think will work best in the end. 

0 Kudos
JoaquinMadrid1
Regular Contributor

I fully agree with Vanessa, and we always migrate onto a schema in which Editor Tracking is disabled. We usually map the source last updated user and date to the creation user and date of the target. After migration we enable Editor Tracking again. (When requested by the client, we also map and migrate the source creation user and date to two additional fields in the target schema: not under Editor Tracking.

Another consideration to keep in mind is that when running Update Subnetwork some features will undergo edits and their update user and date would be set accordingly. Therefore, when you look at the data at a later time, you would not be able to differentiate whether the editor in the last user field was someone making an explicit edit to the feature or running Update Subnetwork.

If this was a concern, you could add two more "update-by-when" fields to your schema and add functionality to manage their values based on specific requirements.