Where Does Land Use Data Live in ArcGIS Urban/ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
03-09-2022 04:32 PM
AlexRudowski
New Contributor III

When creating a new Urban Model, where are the land use tables and feature class data stored in AGOL?

For example, Space use types and Zoning types (first screenshot) both have corresponding hosted tables within the hosted feature layer (second screenshot) that get created whenever you create a new Urban Model. This is nice because it allows you to access and edit this data outside of the Urban UI. This seems to be the case for all of these features/tables except for the Land use types table and feature service. Where do these things live?

^^^The tables listed here in the Urban UI are the same tables you find in the feature service table below except for land use types^^^The tables listed here in the Urban UI are the same tables you find in the feature service table below except for land use types

^^^The tables listed here in the AGOL feature service are the same as the ones listed in the Urban UI except "Land use types" is not there. where is it?^^^The tables listed here in the AGOL feature service are the same as the ones listed in the Urban UI except "Land use types" is not there. where is it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Till_Schmid
Esri Contributor

Hi @AlexRudowski 

Both - the land use and zoning types live in the table "ZoneTypes". The different types can be distinguished by the "PlanningMethod" field ("zoning" vs. "land-use"). 

As an additional note I'd like to add, that we do not recommend editing data directly in ArcGIS Online. Such edits are not validated against the schema which can lead to problems when using Urban. If you would like to edit the data outside of the ArcGIS Urban UI, we recommend using the ArcGIS Urban API instead. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Till_Schmid
Esri Contributor

Hi @AlexRudowski 

Both - the land use and zoning types live in the table "ZoneTypes". The different types can be distinguished by the "PlanningMethod" field ("zoning" vs. "land-use"). 

As an additional note I'd like to add, that we do not recommend editing data directly in ArcGIS Online. Such edits are not validated against the schema which can lead to problems when using Urban. If you would like to edit the data outside of the ArcGIS Urban UI, we recommend using the ArcGIS Urban API instead. 

AlexRudowski
New Contributor III

Thank you @Till_Schmid! I thought I was going crazy for a little bit there!

I'll take a look at getting started with the Urban API. Many of our zones have very similar space use types to at least one other zone. Instead of going through each zoning type in Urban to add the same 50 or so allowed space use types, I've been grabbing the URL for the hosted feature service, adding it to Pro, and then copy/pasting the space use type IDs (screenshot)  from one relevant field to another. I guess I can use the API to do this?

As a side note, I now see the distinction within the table between zoning and land use, but I think it's an interesting choice to lump land use into the same feature as zoning. Of course, they're related, but I've always thought of zoning as representing how land could be used while land use reflects the actual existing conditions and or future use designation.

The A-1 and A-1/zc zones have almost all the same allowed uses types. Instead of adding all the same allowed uses manually in Urban, I just copy/paste the IDs from one record to another in Pro.The A-1 and A-1/zc zones have almost all the same allowed uses types. Instead of adding all the same allowed uses manually in Urban, I just copy/paste the IDs from one record to another in Pro.

0 Kudos
Till_Schmid
Esri Contributor

Yes, you could update your ZoneTypes using the Urban API using the updateZoneTypes mutation. In more detail, you need to provide arrays of the spaceUseTypeId in the AllowedSpaceUseTypes type in the ZoneType attributes.

Till_Schmid_0-1647001950989.jpeg

You can do it (or simply try it out) directly in the Graph QL playground. See Discover the Playground section in the Urban API docs to learn about the GraphQL Playground. You can also write a short Python script that will send the relevant mutations to the API and update your zones types in the loop. Please see the sample code page for examples.

If you find it difficult to get started with the Urban API or have any other questions, please ask in the Urban API questions place in the Esri community.

Regarding your side note: You are absolutely right when you think about zoning and land use that way. However, since they are related, we decided to use the same table to keep the technical implementation as simple as possible.

0 Kudos