Select to view content in your preferred language

Upper tier setbacks not enforced with footprint shape change - application bug?

03-12-2022 02:41 PM
PaigeThornton
New Contributor

I have upper tier setbacks set in one of my zoning types. These setbacks are enforced when I have the building type footprint shape set to "rectangle," but it is not enforced when the shape is set to "auto" or "parcel." Is this a bug, or a known limitation to the application? 

PaigeThornton_0-1647124801471.png

vs. 

PaigeThornton_1-1647124824025.png

Further, is there a way to manually build a building shape, then apply the whole building type to that shape? I see that I am able to build manually through the edit spaces tab, but I have to do this per floor and space use type, rather than apply the whole building type.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Till_Schmid
Esri Contributor

Hi @PaigeThornton 

Thank you for your question. See my answers and follow-up questions below:

1) Setbacks

From the screenshots it is hard to tell if the result is expected or not. I'd like to point out the following:

• Generated buildings depend on all zoning parameters. There can be situations where tiers are not effective because the building is already restricted by another regulation (e.g. coverage). 
  • Generated buildings depend on the building type and its parts. Podiums are built "as wide as possible", towers are built "as high as possible". Also in this case, tiers might not be effective.
  • Setbacks are always measured from the edge of a parcel. What setbacks are effective also depends on the orientation of the parcel edge. A way to visually check if  the setbacks are correct is by enabling zoning envelopes. To do this, first click on the hamburger menu and enable zoning envelopes in the list of layers. Second, go to "development" mode, click on a parcel and, in the right side panel, scroll all the way down to check "display zoning envelopes".

Based on my general remarks, would it be possible to give me more information on your issue? E.g.:

• Do you have other zoning regulations set that might limit the building (e.g. coverage or FAR)?
  • Could you provide a description/screenshot of your building type?
  • Could you enable zoning envelopes (as described above) and provide a screenshot? 
  • Could you provide a screenshot of your setback settings?

Thank you!

2) Apply a building type to a footprint

Further, is there a way to manually build a building shape, then apply the whole building type to that shape? I see that I am able to build manually through the edit spaces tab, but I have to do this per floor and space use type, rather than apply the whole building type.

Yes, this is possible. You can upload your building footprint and apply a building type to it. The documentation explains in more detail how this can be done.

0 Kudos