Select to view content in your preferred language

Transfer ownership of survey to another user

11-03-2016 01:39 PM
KyleGarrison
Deactivated User

Hello,

I have a survey being used by multiple members within and outside of my organization. I've authored and published this survey and the feature class, etc under my AGO credentials (therefore the feature class, etc. are in my AGO content) and it is shared within a group to end-users. I need to transfer 'ownership' to another user within my organization so that they can take over the management of the survey form/feature class (the form content needs to be routinely updated). Because the survey is already vetted and in use, we prefer to not re-publish the same form under a different name and require end-users to re-download. Is this possible? I've found that survey123 connect only allows the creation/publication of new surveys when using another machine/user, rather than providing the ability to update an existing form/survey.

Thank you for the help!

Tags (1)
34 Replies
AndreaRyffel
Emerging Contributor

Hi Danny, 

I don't have an answer but I have the same question. Anyone?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We have to migrate accounts now and we were able to change owners successfully just today.

1. Select the form items and then Change Owner - Create a new folder with the exact same name.  See here https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/transfer-ownership-of-survey-to-another-use...

2. Even though the folder is the same name the Folder ID changes.  123 uses this to track the folder.  To change Close Connect.  In each form folder on your harddrive change this in the formname.iteminfo file

"owner": "myNEWusernamehere",
"ownerFolder": "80a70206aab647f0881ba7df1a9a81b7"

You can get the folder id from the address bar when in Content then click on the folder.

Note if moving machines you would need to copy the My Survey Designs folder content over.

3.  Open Connect and sign in as the new owner.  You should see it link up ok (no download arrow).  

At this point I was able to publish again as the new owner, make changes, etc.

Worked for me.  Of course this is a one time deal not meant to do on the regular.

See more here  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey-won-t-publish-as-form-was-moved-to-a...

VanessaSimps
Frequent Contributor

@LeahClark FYI

0 Kudos
bradenmiller
Occasional Contributor

We transferred ownership of a survey when someone was leaving our organization not realizing extra steps were required beyond using  ESRI's built in 'transfer content' tool.  The previous owner's account is gone, so we can't see what the folder was originally named.

How do we repair this survey so we can continue using it (it's currently in production).

Currently when we try to make updates we get an error saying 'The survey has changes that have not been published yet.  Users can see the changes only after you publish the survey in Design page', and there is a red dot on the 'Publish' button.

Then the 'Unable to publish the survey' error, '-1: missing itemId/ folderId/ params args'

0 Kudos
sofoo
by
Frequent Contributor

Have you looked in the item's JSON data?  If you look at it in AGO Assistant or using the Python API get_data function, you might find the folder id.

0 Kudos
VanessaSimps
Frequent Contributor

Can you contact the Admin of your AGO/Portal site? They might have moved the ex-employee's content to another user? If they deleted it, and there is no back up of the data/survey, then it might be gone-zo. Perhaps you can an Admin access the folder and pass the ownership to you if they simply moved it or archived it?

Alternatively, do you have a back up of the survey saved somewhere like in a share drive? Our organization's workflow is to make a copy of the survey from our C:\Users\{username}\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs  folder to a documentation folder. This way we have a back up that isn't sitting on someone's PC. if you have that, you could republish and re-route any apps or users to the new survey. (you might not have all the previously collected data though since that would be stashed in the ex-employee's AGO/Portal folder (depending on how the survey was structured). 

bradenmiller
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like both the pc and AGOL account of the creator are no longer available, unf.

0 Kudos
VanessaSimps
Frequent Contributor

well that stinks! Sounds like a rebuild.... bummer dude!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You should be able to find this in the .info file I think.  Folder number is the important one.

If not copy the form and post it as a new one - that should show you the name.

Hope that does it

0 Kudos
RyanBohan
Frequent Contributor

We are having similar questions.  What is the best way to publish a Survey from connect and allow other users with GIS Admin rights to update the survey?

What if someone from our department goes on vacation and the xls is sitting on their work machine.  It is my understanding that updates have to wait until that employee returns from vacation.  Which as much as try to gather full requirements before a survey goes live, there are change requests.

What if the employee is out for 6 months or transfer a new job?  How can we configure our workflow to allow others to update a survey?  

We could create a shared location with a zipped folder for each survey.  However I believe that xlsx could only be used to create a new survey.  Using a submission url helps, unless there is a schema change.

Any help would be great.