Survey won't publish, as form was moved to a different folder

Jump to solution
08-27-2021 05:21 PM
JulietK
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, when I first published my survey I couldn't find the folder it published to - I completely forgot that the folder is automatically given the suffix 'Survey' before the actual survey title. So in ArcGIS contents, I made a new folder and found the survey form in the 'All my contents' section, and moved it to the new folder. 

After this was done, I found the original folder that it published to. I deleted this empty folder just to tidy things up, and didn't realise this would cause issues.

Now that I've made a minor change to my survey, it won't re-publish. The loading symbol goes on and on and never actually reaches the publish completion. I have determined that the moving form to another folder has caused this issue... Since the original folder it published to is deleted, how can I fix the issue?

I saw in this community question page that I could add the new folder's ID to the survey's .iteminfo file. However, the .iteminfo file of my survey doesn't have a section for the ID or the folder ID...

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I thought it would work but have not tried it.   Have you renamed the item.info and let it recreate it yet?

Have you looked at  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey123-how-to-change-default-publish-loc...

0 Kudos
JulietK

Hi Doug, I have tried replacing the ID of the 'ownerfolder' in .iteminfo with the ID of the new folder (using notepad) and tried to republish, but the issue still persisted unfortunately. 

Thank you for the link, I don't have access to ArcGIS pro so won't be able to make full use of the suggestion provided in the page.

0 Kudos
JulietK

It's interesting, I've replaced the 'ownerfolder' in .iteminfo, saved the notepad then opened notepad again to make sure the update had saved. Then I click on the publish button, then while its stuck on loading, I open the notepad again - I see the 'ownerfolder' ID has automatically been re-written to the original ID, which must occur when I press the publish button? I am unsure how to get the change made to the 'ownerfolder' ID to stick..

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We are doing a migration so I got to test this today.  You need to change the owner and the ownerfolder id in the iteminfo file.

These two lines

"owner": "myusernamehere",
"ownerFolder": "80a70206aab647f0881ba7df1a9a81b7",

Now the only way we found to get the id if the Folder is script.  Not sure how else to get it.  Anyone?   Note this is not the id of the form but of the folder itself.

So it is using the Id of the folder not the name.  So when you removed and readded the folder it got a new Id.  That is why it is mad.

Hope that helps.  I was able to move my forms now to a whole new user and folder.

JulietK

Hi Doug, 

Thank you for that!

The owner should be the same for me, as the initial form was published under my account and the new folder is also under my account. I got the ID of the new folder from the browser address bar, when I have the folder open. 

I've tried making the copy of the .iteminfo file, replacing the folder ID then swapping it with the original .iteminfo file in the survey's folder. Unfortunately the act of publishing still automatically re-writes the ownerfolder back to the original folder ID somehow.. Not sure why this method won't work for me, maybe I just need to put the time aside to copy the whole survey and the attached items 😞

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Weird.  Do you have Connect closed when you do this?   I closed Connect, edited the info file (try this just make a backup), opened Connect, opened form, Publish.  It moved no problem.

May want to try support now.  Good luck

JulietK

Having Connect closed when replacing the .iteminfo file containing the new ownerfolder ID worked! Thank you so much for your help! 🙂

JenniferCasey1
New Contributor III

This worked thanks!  I just wanted to add; I found the folder ID when I click on the folder in my content.  It shows in the URL after "folder="

https://slocounty.maps.arcgis.com/home/content.html?view=table&sortOrder=desc&sortField=modified&fol...

BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you everyone for your posts. I took the new folder ID from the URL and replaced it in the .iteminfo file, and this resolved the stuck issue for me.