Transfer ownership of survey to another user

11-03-2016 01:39 PM
KyleGarrison
New Contributor

Hello,

I have a survey being used by multiple members within and outside of my organization. I've authored and published this survey and the feature class, etc under my AGO credentials (therefore the feature class, etc. are in my AGO content) and it is shared within a group to end-users. I need to transfer 'ownership' to another user within my organization so that they can take over the management of the survey form/feature class (the form content needs to be routinely updated). Because the survey is already vetted and in use, we prefer to not re-publish the same form under a different name and require end-users to re-download. Is this possible? I've found that survey123 connect only allows the creation/publication of new surveys when using another machine/user, rather than providing the ability to update an existing form/survey.

Thank you for the help!

Tags (1)
34 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Ownership can be changed via the ArcGIS Online item management interface (Manage items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS ).

1) As an admin (or have your admin), login to www.arcgis.com 

2) Go to 'My Organization' (If you are the admin, you can go to 'My Items' and skip the next step).  

3) Go to the survey owner's entry, click on it to show a user info popup and select 'Manage Items'

4) The survey form and feature service are located in a folder Survey-<Survey Name>.  Click on that folder and then check both items.  

5) Click on the 'Change Owner' button.  Select the new owner.  Create a new folder with the same name as the existing user's folder and select it.  Then select change owner.

Guest001
New Contributor III

James,

Similar question - however is there a way to construct a feature and related survey 123 as described in this process Survey123 for ArcGIS: Advanced Topics - YouTube  and then transfer to a different oranization?

We would like to set up a "template" for point features collected in ArcCollector and have the reaming data be filled out in a related html embedded link. 

The plan is to create and test this under our company AGO organization and then migrate the template features and related survey123 to a client's ArcGISEnterprise where it would permanently reside data and user access

I think the main issue is the embedded html link - when transferring from one organization to another the html link would also change correct?

What would be the best way to set up and then transfer the "template"?

thanks!

PatriciaCarbajales-Dale
New Contributor III

We have the same question. Any response?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Patricia,

The pattern I would suggest for this is:

1) Download a file geodatabase of the feature service.  Add the feature classes/tables to the enterprise geodatabase and publish as a feature service.

2) In Survey123 Connect, select the form, click on it's menu (3 bars in the lower right) and select 'Create a new survey'

3) In the form's XLS file, update the submission_url setting to the feature service in Enterprise

4) In Survey123 Connect, log in to the Enterprise deployment and publish the form.

PatriciaCarbajales-Dale
New Contributor III

Thank you

0 Kudos
KaraUtter1
New Contributor III

@JamesTedrick I understand the above process well and have used it in many situations. However, the situation I am in currently is that the entity that needs to own the survey outside of my organization specifically has chosen to use the online Survey123 designer for many reasons. Including but not limited to they do not have the expertise to create or manage survey123 connect xls forms. We need to keep this in the designer online but want to change the organization ownership. Is there a method you recommend for this process?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

James - is this still the proper way to change ownership of a survey? Just checking since it's 3 years old. We can't find anything in the S123 site part to change owner, so assuming this is still valid. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Nathan,

These instructions still apply. One additional note is that if you need to update the survey via Survey123 Connect, you would also need to update some information in the form's .iteminfo file - specifically the `owner` and `ownerfolder` properties.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks James

Any progress on making this whole survey process easier? We have departments where people work on surveys together and the current installation/sharing is really cumbersome and frankly annoying to have to deal with. Being able to install connect to a network location, sharing/working on surveys together, not having to go through all this to move a survey, etc. would be nice.