Return to Field Maps after submitting form.

03-16-2021 06:55 AM
Morin
by
New Contributor II

I have a feature class related to a table with inspection data. The user click on a feature to add inspection data in the Field Map application. The user is redirected to Survey123 via a custom popup with a link to the Survet123 app for with an ID linking back to the feature that was clicked.
But after the user submit the from the form close and you stay on the Survet 123 app. I want the Field Map to re-open so the user can continue to work with the map. The user does not care about Survey123, it is just used as a vehicle to submitt data to a related table. 
Is this a normal strategy to collect related informasion or am I missing something? It is not a good user exprience if you end at the survey 123 app after submitting mapcentric data. I am new to using ESRI products..

12 Replies
AndrewBowne
Occasional Contributor III

Looks like callbacks are partially implemented.  This article is a bit old and refers to Collector and not Field Maps however I'm sure it could be adapted appropriately as Field Maps is smart launchable:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/app-link-callback-to-collector/td-p/727103

0 Kudos
Morin
by
New Contributor II

You are rigt it works (not quite) to use callback. Here is an example link

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=<myid>&field:globalid={GlobalID}&callback=arcgis-fieldmaps://?itemID=<myid>

For the first inspection data it works. I click the asset, click add inspection -> open surver123 form, submit data and being sent back to Field maps. However when I click on the link to open the survey form for a new inspection, it take me to the outbox in Survey 123 with the screen just showing "Outbox is empty" instead of following the link to the survey?

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne
Occasional Contributor III

So you are saying that it works the first time and then when you repeat the same workflow for a second time it sends you to the outbox instead of opening the survey again for input?   That's odd and behavior I am not experiencing.

Are you clicking the same link the second time?  It almost sounds like the itemID is not correct.

0 Kudos
Morin
by
New Contributor II

After quite extensive testing I have found that the data is actually not submitted to the server (AGOL in this case). When I start field Maps through the app I get redirected to the Survey 123 when clicking "Add survey data". After clicking "Send now" i get redirected to Field Maps. But I could never see the related record in the table. But then I noticed if I open the Survey 123 app I see the screen posting the actuall data (with the current time, not with the time I pressed "Send now" to start with). I see the same posting dialog when I click to add my second survey data, it is after that "Outbox empty" is showing, which kind of make sense....

I have also tried to use the option for the callback callback:submit to try and "force" Survey123 to redirect to Field Maps after a record has actually been recieved by the server, but that did not make any difference in my case...

I hope my explanation was clear

0 Kudos
Morin
by
New Contributor II

After feedback from our ESRI distributor they have reproduced the same bug. For them it seem hardware related. eg. iOS vs Android. One of their colleagues consequently get the same erroneous behaviour whilst one with iOS it works fine. On my end though it fails on all tested devices. Issue has been sent to ESRI but so far they have not been able to reproduce the issue (I hope that does not mean that the error is not existing, because I still cannot use it). @_____, feel free to contact me directly to resolve the issue, I will grant you access to our AGOL instance to reproduce the issue from where it persist.

0 Kudos
ChelseyAiton2
New Contributor III

Have you had any resolution on this issue? I am experiencing the exact same issue when using callbacks from S123. This is happening when I callback to Collector or Field Maps. I am using the same URL parameters and structure as you. This issue has arisen recently, I have been using this callback structure in Collector for the last year with no issues. 

I have tested both link structures below: The second newer structure fails less often and works better with IOS devices but still fails frequently. 

callback=arcgis-fieldmaps://?itemID=<itemid>

callback=https://fieldmaps.arcgis.app

0 Kudos
ChelseyAiton2
New Contributor III

Contacted Technical Support yesterday, this is indeed a bug - BUG-000138381

0 Kudos
Morin
by
New Contributor II

Sorry for the late reply. I did not find a solution and I gave up and developed the same type of application using python and flask which was honestly faster for me and gave me full control. Although the application is pretty basic, but that was also why I thought AGOL would be helpful to whip it up quickly. The organization am working in actually decided not to prolong the contract with ESRI because of this and other issues that did not fit our technical infrastructure. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

it sounds like BUG-000138381and BUG-000138377  are related.

BUG-000138377 was raised by ESRI support after I raised the issue and demonstrated it to them.

In summary, a webmap (either in ArcGIS Enterprise or AGOL) with the popup config like the below, including a call back to either Collector (Classic) or Field Maps is resulting in the call back action occurring before the survey submit operation is completed, resulting in the survey being saved to the Outbox as the Survey123 app is no longer the active app on the mobile device. 

<font size="4"><a href="arcgis-survey123://?itemID=surveyID&amp;field:ASSET_GID={GlobalID}&amp;callback=https://fieldmaps.arcgis.app/?referenceContext=search%26itemID=webmapID%26search={WU_TASK_NO}" target="_blank"> Open Defect Form</a></font>

<font size="4"><a href="arcgis-survey123://?itemID=surveyID&amp;field:ASSET_GID={GlobalID}&amp;field:ASSNBRI={ASSNBRI}&amp;field:CLASSIFICATION1={CLASSIFICATION1}&amp;field:CLASSIFICATION2={CLASSIFICATION2}&amp;field:CLASSIFICATION3={CLASSIFICATION3}&amp;callback=arcgis-collector://?itemID=webmapID" target="_blank">Open Defect Form</a></font>

It happens with all Surveys I have published that are being used with Survey123 version 3.12.274 on both  Android v9 & v10 and iOS 14.6

This was an old issue that was resolved (I think) at version 3.8 of the Survey123 mobile app.

The callback function was great when it worked at v3.11 and I'm disheartened to see the solutions to both of these bugs it to manually switch back to Survey123, it means the callback function doesn't work at 3.12.

@IsmaelChivite @JamesTedrick @Anonymous User I know you get tagged in everything, but I'd really appreciate your assistance with both these bugs

Tags (1)