Public Survey but restricted results?

Jump to solution
04-21-2022 08:43 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

We are struggling with needing (expensive) Creator licenses for everyone that wants to fill out a survey (we are using ArcGIS Enterprise).  We know the survey can be shared "publicly" such that anyone with the link can fill it out - this is the accepted workaround for acquiring Creator licenses, and could work.  However, when data security is an issue, we would not also want anyone to be able to access the survey results.  So while we might not expect any bad actors to want to fill out a survey and populate the results with bad data, we might expect them to find the REST endpoints and extract the results.  

Is this security model built into Survey123?  Normally with feature services if you have permission to insert, you also have permissions to access, since it's just GET and POST requests.  So I'm unclear if/how Survey123 deals with this. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

With editor tracking settings, you can configure a public service to not expose existing data.

jcarlson_0-1650556532285.png

This maintains data integrity, while allowing other users to contribute to the survey.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

Very interesting - this is for general purpose feature layers it looks like.  But I assume the same is available with Survey123.  

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I mean, once you create the survey, it creates a "general purpose feature layer" to hold the survey responses. While the means of editing can differ, the underlying service is no different.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos