How to populate a field from external select (external_choice)

Jump to solution
08-24-2021 11:16 PM
Labels (1)
JoseBarrios1
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

I want to use external select  to capture information from a large list (2,000) containing species name and other attributes. My question is... How could I pull the values from the external_choice sheet(tab) to populate a note or a text fields in my form using cascade select?  I was able to get the  species name using the choice_filter but I am confuse on how it works. I could not found any examples of how to use external select to pull data or populate other fields. Here is a pic of what I am trying to accomplish and a sample of my XLSForm. The form will be used on Web App only. Thanks for any help or suggestions!spForm_Pic.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Opps forgot to attach the excel.  It for sure works using the formula above.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check out the bible page it has all you need.  https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformformulas.htm 

For your form the example for Authority would be.  Note external choice just creates a csv called itemsets in the media folder but you can now have this as an csv in the media folder and use select_one_from_file instead BUT not sure that works in the web yet.

pulldata('itemsets', 'Authority', 'name', ${sp_namexxx})

0 Kudos
JoseBarrios1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your suggestions. I did try the pulldata function as you suggested but it did not work for me.  Unfortunately, the "bible" page does not have anything on external select or using external_choices sheet ( not a csv list).

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Opps forgot to attach the excel.  It for sure works using the formula above.