Error generating reports after Survey123 update

02-28-2019 06:45 AM
RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

See attached screen shot. I have several users who cannot generate reports (different surveys, but all are set up the same). These are existing surveys with existing templates that worked before today. The RemarksText field exists in the survey within a repeat.

Could this be related to the 3.3 update?

Update: I was told by Esri support that there is nothing they can do to help me since reports are in Beta. I have many reports that were working previously but now fail after the 3.3 update. James Tedrick‌ and Philip Wilson‌ do you have any ideas on what may be causing this? The field that's failing is in a repeat.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
RobBlash

I think I found the issue. The report doesn't like the fact that "Text" is in the field name ${RemarksText}. If I publish a new survey using an existing xlsx (and changing the name of that field) the report will work.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was having some issues with one of my reports that references a field that is not found within my repeat. I had a field that represented the overall site ID and I had the custom report referencing that field within the repeat section of the custom report. It would actually grab the value of my question outside of the repeat and use it with each repeat entry.

However, when I tested the report, I found that I had to remove the field that was not found within the repeat in order for the report template to function. Just that means a slight update within my report/survey to see it work again.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The issue with my survey and custom report is that I have a "text" field from the main survey within a repeat.

Question outside of the repeat that is part of the main form

Then the field within the repeat; I had to remove this question from the repeat in order for the custom report to be uploaded. This custom report worked well prior to this release.

Out of curiosity, I started attempting to use more of the my custom reports and they are all producing errors that pertain fields that are "text" based and not part of a repeat?

Hosted Feature Service

From the custom report

The error from the run of the custom report and this is the only place it is found.

ScottBailey3
New Contributor III

JTedrick-esristaff I am having this exact problem even after the recent hotfix

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rob,

Does your form have a repeat section, and if so does the repeat section have a field whose name contains the name of the repeat?  If so, this is an issue we will be fixing soon.

0 Kudos
RobBlash

James,

Do you know how soon? Trying to decide if I should wait or re-publish my surveys.

The problem does occur in a repeat. There was a field label that was the same as the repeat, but changing that didn't seem to fix the issue. It seemed like the word "Text" in the field name was the problem. If I have some time over the next few days to double-check if the label was the actual cause of the issue I will report back.

0 Kudos
RobBlash

I had a little time to mess around with the issue this afternoon. I reproduced this error by creating a field label that is the same value as a repeat (either repeat label or repeat name, I didn't look at which one was the cause).

James Tedrick‌ do you have a suggested fix in the meantime? I re-published the survey with an revised label, then re-generated a report template but the error still persists. I also manually changed the field alias in the feature service settings but that didn't work either.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rob,

At this time the only workaround would be altering your survey's schema.  As I mention, we will be addressing this as soon as we are able to; unfortunately, with the Developer's Summit upon us, it will be slightly delayed.

0 Kudos
RobBlash

Thanks James. I tried altering the schema as described in my last post but that didn't work. The only other thing I can think of is to re-publish with a new repeat but I'm not sure that's possible without overwriting the service.

Now that I'm thinking more about it, I suppose I can also add new fields, calc over the values, delete the old fields, then published a new survey on top of the existing HFS. 

Any other recommendations?

0 Kudos