Can You Use a Table and a Feature Layer in a Survey?

05-03-2022 11:58 AM
GarrettRSmith
Occasional Contributor II

Hello

I am working on a previously created project where the backend developer has split the original feature layer into tables for the survey responses and points for the survey locations.

I have tried to change the submission_url to the table that was created, however the survey will not publish because I have an esriGeometryPoint and I get an error message that says a feature layer is required for the esriGeometryPoint question. Is it possible to point the esriGeomentryPoint question to the feature layer and keep the rest of the survey pointed to the table?

We are also using Field Maps to allow users to edit the features in the field. Is it possible to collect the points in Field Maps and then have the user link to the proper Survey123 survey after the point is created?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You need to have the FormID value in setting match the name of the Point layer and the name of the repeat match the table name.  

This was just asked so see the images here and it should help  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/publish-survey123-connect-with-repeats-not-...

hope that helps

0 Kudos
GarrettRSmith

Hi @DougBrowning, I read through the post you referenced above. The last comment from the original poster points out that your example is using a feature layer with repeats to other feature layers. If I do this in my example the survey will publish fine.

Like I said, I am working with an IT person who wants the survey to point to a parent table. He has made all the feature layers children and has used the globalid field as the relationship. When I originally set up the survey last year everything was pointing to feature layers and it worked great. I am not sure why he wants to use a table.

Here is what I have right now.

A parent table and three related features (point, line, and polygon).

If I change the submission_url to the parent table and try to include the line and polygon repeats it will not publish. If I change the submission_url to the point layer it all works fine. My guess is that the table is causing the error, but I am not sure what it is. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It may not let you make the parent a table.  Not sure.  Does the form have a geopoint question.  If 123 team does not chime in may be time to call support.  In the end it will probably be way easier to just make it match then try and fight it.

0 Kudos
GarrettRSmith

I went ahead and made the decision to go ahead and revert back to the original workflow instead of banging my head against the wall trying to work this out. Thanks for all of your help. 

0 Kudos