Adding Images/Attachments to Survey in INBOX

Jump to solution
03-08-2018 11:30 AM
CoryLyle
New Contributor

Anyone have experience with adding photos to an existing survey through the Inbox? Or potential workaround?  We have office technicians that will be adding points to our feature layer (in portal), the field crew/inspectors will then navigate to these points, open the survey through the Inbox, and complete the survey including taking photos of the location.  

We would like the photos to be accessible through the web map in portal, which is why we chose to use multiple image questions instead of using repeats.  I read that you could possibly edit the source code for Survey123 through AppStudio, unfortunately I am not that familiar with coding and couldn't find any documentation.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations!

Already read through the 2.4 "talk like a pirate release" blog post and saw this...but wanted to see if the community had anything new.

"As of this release, the Inbox lacks support for downloading attachments. That is, you can use the Inbox against a survey that includes attachments, but  the Inbox will not populate  signatures, annotated images, audio or image questions.  All these types of questions will appear empty, as if they had no data. As for the rest of questions, you will be able to download  data for them and update  them as well.

Also, to play on the safe side, when you edit surveys from your Inbox we will disable editing on these types of questions. This means that if you open a survey from your Inbox  to make edits to it, all questions of type image (photos, signature, annotate, draw) as well as audio questions will appear not only empty, but also disabled. This is to avoid people from accidentally attempting to change data  in them."

55 Replies
JulienCHARBONNAUD
New Contributor III

Hi Steven

you can use repeat function

it works but you can see if some pictures have already been sent but you can add some

bye

Julien

0 Kudos
StevenDel_Castillo
New Contributor III

Hello Julien,

I am trying this workaround now but have noticed the image question in the repeat is only enabled for features I've submitted. When I try editing a feature I did not create the image question is not enabled. By chance, have you ran into this problem and have a solution?

Thank you,

Steven

0 Kudos
JulienCHARBONNAUD
New Contributor III

Hi Steven

I have no problem on my side here is my code

begin repeatPhotosV3Prendre des photos - 3
imagePhotoV3Photo - Parcelle
imagePhotoZV3Photo - Gros plan
hiddenIdPhotoV3Identifiant Photo3
end repeat  
0 Kudos
StevenDel_Castillo
New Contributor III

Hi Julien,

My code is similar and works fine for features I've submitted via s123 and then recall using inbox. Problem does not look to be related to the configuration of the survey.

The problem is when I query the inbox for features I did not submit in s123 and that do not have existing images (ex, created in Pro or imported via excel in AGOL). When I do this the image question in the the repeat is disabled.

Thanks,

Steven

0 Kudos
JulienCHARBONNAUD
New Contributor III

yes we can send images via this principle but no image goes back to the inbox so normal that if images are on Agol or another source nothing goes up

0 Kudos
StevenDel_Castillo
New Contributor III

Right. I am not trying to view previously submitted images. I am only trying to add new ones but the image question in the repeat is disabled when viewing features through inbox that I did not submit nor have an image. 

I'm happy your workflow is working, thanks for your comments.

Steven

0 Kudos
StevenDel_Castillo
New Contributor III

James TedrickPhilip Wilson

Hello James/Philip,

I am trying the workaround of using an image in a repeat to allow image captures using the Inbox. I've noticed that this only works for features I have submitted with an image. When I select a feature in Inbox that was added to the layer via some other way (with no record nor image in the relate table) the image field is disabled. Is there a way to fix this? Do we need to add a child record for every parent?

Thank you,

Steven

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Steven,

Image attachments are currently not supported in the field app via the Inbox, you can not view or edit existing attachments via the Inbox. If you have configured your survey using a repeat and allowed adding new records via the parameters column to the repeat, you can add a new child record to the parent, to which you can add an image attachment. This is considered an add attachment operation, not an edit attachment, and therefore will be allowed.

Can you share your xlsx file if you are still having issues so we can take a closer look at the design and test it out?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
StevenDel_Castillo
New Contributor III

Hello Philip,

We are not trying to view or edit, just capture a new image or an attachment operation as you mentioned.

We have found this only works for features the user has created. If a user uses Inbox to edit a feature they did not create (ex., feature added in Pro using Append) the user is not able to add an image in the repeat. For this reason I don't think its an issue with the configuration of the survey but rather the backend mechanics of the hosted feature layer and relate table. It's almost like some setting is not turned on.

Things we tried:
- Tried adding a child record for every parent, no go.

- Tried manually adding an image on the child record in hopes of "waking up" the image field but that was unsuccessful as well.

- Removed watermark field and parameter, no go.

Screenshot of repeat below. File attached as well. Thank you for the help.

Steven

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Steven,

In that case it sounds like a sharing or permission issue on the FS, or the settings on the FS are not configured correctly. James Tedrick‌ any ideas?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos